Now I'm starting to get angry

Story: A Government Error Just Revealed Snowden Was the Target in the Lavabit CaseTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
penguinist

Mar 22, 2016
11:26 AM EDT
So now, after nearly three years, we learn that the forced shutdown of Lavabit was caused by an attempted government attack on Snowden. In my mind, Snowden is a hero for standing up for the right of law abiding people to a private life free of government monitoring. I read the book "1984" many decades ago and really don't want that to describe the accepted way of life going forward.

It is ironic that the owner of Lavabit has been silent all this time at the demand of government, and then it was finally a government mistake that actually resulted in a disclosure of the truth.

The effects of these disclosures are chilling. Our government is a bully. I get a vote in November and will place a high priority on privacy rights reforms.
thenixedreport

Mar 23, 2016
2:00 AM EDT
I don't blame you for your anger, and in addition to this, we have the iPhone debacle in which the FBI simply wanted precedent to be set. Fortunately, negative publicity caused them to reverse course for the time being.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!