How strange.

Story: Microsoft and Canonical partner to bring Ubuntu to Windows 10Total Replies: 18
Author Content
Ridcully

Mar 30, 2016
2:07 AM EDT
Personally, if I absolutely HAD to run Win10, I'd prefer it the other way around......Win10 running on top of Ubuntu. Then you know you have a rock solid base for a suspect superstructure. But, that's just my perspective. 2c. :-)
nmset

Mar 30, 2016
2:15 AM EDT
Canonical is playing with the devil How will they bite their fingers remains to be seen. As a general principle, don't play with fire.
JaseP

Mar 30, 2016
7:57 AM EDT
Yeah,... Microsoft "partners" don't usually fair too well in the long run... Heck,... even the short run...
penguinist

Mar 30, 2016
8:55 AM EDT
Without knowledge of the details I'm guessing that this will bring the Ubuntu user space on top of the Windows kernel, throwing out the Linux kernel in the process.

This makes perfect sense as a next step from the perspective of the other Microsoft partner, the NSA. They already bought Windows access but they are still stymied when it comes to Linux access. This would be a perfect solution for them. One check paid to one company and you get access to everything. Our tax dollars at work.

Plus Microsoft wins because they will be in a great position to strangle Ubuntu whenever and however they want. Oh, if you wanted the best performance then you would want to do your work on the Windows 10 side, right?

Sounds like a win-win to me. (for everyone except the Linux community)
jdixon

Mar 30, 2016
9:00 AM EDT
> ...for everyone except the Linux community...

It seems to me that it's been quite a while since Canonical was part of "the Linux community". So I can't say this is a surprise.
Fettoosh

Mar 30, 2016
12:56 PM EDT
Canonical is about to be bought by MS. Its the same deal like many others before it. Ximian, Novell, Suse, Nokia, etc.

There are many Ubuntu derivatives and most will be affected, but their users will not have any problems switching to one of the many other good distros.

penguinist

Mar 30, 2016
1:26 PM EDT
Thank $DEITY they didn't compromise debian. If they take Ubuntu we still have everything we need with that family of distros.
dotmatrix

Mar 30, 2016
2:09 PM EDT
>Thank $DEITY

As a Hitchens and Dawkins type person, I would say "Thank goodness" instead.

>didn't compromise debian

It's very unlikely since Debian is and was never a 'for-profit' distro. Canonical wants to make a profit on the GNU/Linux investment. Ubuntu was never intended to be a software freedom for all distro.
gus3

Mar 30, 2016
3:12 PM EDT
# for dotmatrix
dotmatrix@lxer:~$ export DEITY=goodness
jsusanka

Mar 30, 2016
3:25 PM EDT
microsoft is dying. if it wasn't for all the patent racketeering against all the android phone makers they would be dead already.

the cloud is killing them and I personally think linux will be theirs to do what they want with and probably plan to distribute it according to their license.

at least I think that is what their plan is anyway and with the power of the government behind them and all the 3 letter spy agencies they could pull it off.
dotmatrix

Mar 30, 2016
3:50 PM EDT
@gus:

That's truly funny...

=)
jdixon

Mar 31, 2016
4:30 AM EDT
> That's truly funny...

That's the whole point of using a variable. You can assign it whatever value you want.

gus3

Mar 31, 2016
4:13 PM EDT
But define constants in header files. That way, for example, if the value of pi ever changes, you just change the one header, right?
NoDough

Mar 31, 2016
4:28 PM EDT
gus3 wrote:That way, for example, if the value of pi ever changes...

Seems like it costs more every time I go to the bakery.
JaseP

Mar 31, 2016
4:48 PM EDT
Quoting: microsoft is dying. if it wasn't for all the patent racketeering against all the android phone makers they would be dead already.

Becoming less relevant, but not dying... MS is actually doing fairly well financially. Stock is trading only a few dollars down from their all time high... But that's what happens when prices get inflated.

The movie industry is the same way. As a percentage, more people are getting their entertainment online and waiting for home video releases. But because there are more people, and the prices are at an all time high, movies have the chance to be more profitable than ever before ( ... of course they cry that "pirating" is killing them, and they hide their profits with sleazy accounting,... but heck! What are you to do?!).
nmset

Mar 31, 2016
4:59 PM EDT
I think Fettoosh is right, Canonical is about to be bought by MS. I can't find any valid reason for coining "Ubuntu for Windows" nonsense. I was about to start thinking of perhaps getting an Aquarius Ubuntu tablet edition, obviously, that project is definitely down.
JaseP

Mar 31, 2016
7:24 PM EDT
Well,... First April Fools' Day articles are in: http://fossbytes.com/microsoft-buys-canonical-kills-ubuntu-l...
BernardSwiss

Mar 31, 2016
9:51 PM EDT
Well, of course it's an April Fools' prank.

They didn't actually have to say so -- the GIF not crashing was a dead give-away :-P
nmset

Apr 01, 2016
4:46 AM EDT
Ach so ! I'll wear my tin foil hat all day long, promised ! watch?v=yv7kWQ5cmaI

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!