Forbes' policy...

Story: Forbes Is Confused: You Can View Content Using An Adblocker By Promising Not To Use An AdblockerTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
rnturn

May 07, 2016
7:16 PM EDT
... is poorly implemented. I visit the site and I'm told I must disable my ad blocker if I want to read the article, "OK" I say, I'll do this temporarily for Forbes. Ad blocker duly disabled for Forbes. No go, cannot access content. Disable ad blocker for /all/ content. Still no go, cannot access Forbes' valuable content. What's left, uninstall the ad blocker and bounce Firefox? That's not going to happen. Sorry but Forbes writers and articles aren't /that/ good. Can you imagine if all sites implemented ad blocker policies as stupidly as Forbes has done?
jdixon

May 08, 2016
1:01 AM EDT
Yeah, it's reached the point where if I click on a link and it goes to Forbes, I just close the tab.

May 08, 2016
4:32 AM EDT
Using noscript i have found that enabling scripts for certain Google "services" seems to unclog Forbes, as this then sets a cookie. But if you then disable the scripts again, and the article is broken into multiple pages (groan) you again get the adblocking rigamarole.
cybertao

May 08, 2016
5:24 AM EDT
I used NoScript for a while but found it burdensome to use. JavaScript, can't live with it, can't live without it.

So yeah, the likes of Forbes just get ignored. If the time needed to circumvent their protections isn't worth it, the article isn't to me, nor is the value they are trying to sell me to an advertiser for.
dotmatrix

May 08, 2016
11:35 AM EDT
>certain Google "services" ...

Yeah. This is part 2 of the problems. It's all about tracking online activity, even if you run adblock -- 'they' still 'have' you. If you want to read some scary stuff read about pixel tagging:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_beacon

wikipedia wrote:Originally, a web beacon was a small (usually 1×1 pixel) transparent GIF or PNG image (or an image of the same color as the background) that was embedded in an HTML page, usually a page on the web or the content of an email.

And then of course there's the nearly unique browser signature, which makes blending into the background of web traffic nearly impossible.

My main goal in ad-block, script-blocking, and other add-on 'anonymities' is to lower my tracking profile as well as protect me from malware. You're never going to be entirely anonymous unless you use Tor or some other tunneling method, but Tor and other products are very dangerous... and you can be very sure that all Tor traffic is captured in full and forever by both nation states as well as criminal tech gangs.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!