Exit Nodes

Story: Developer of anonymous Tor software dodges FBI, leaves USTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
dotmatrix

May 18, 2016
7:47 PM EDT
Tor's exit nodes are all watched. And all Tor traffic is recorded by criminals and nation states, including the USA...

If you use Tor for any reason, remember to not use it for anything you have used any other browser or Internet connection for... for example, if you login to your regular email account while using Tor -- your anonymity is blown.

I personally believe there are very few legitimate reasons for regular, non-whistleblower citizens of free countries to use Tor.

But I may be wrong... Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken.
jdixon

May 18, 2016
8:54 PM EDT
> And all Tor traffic is recorded by criminals and nation states, including the USA...

I believe you are being redundant.
dotmatrix

May 18, 2016
9:22 PM EDT
>I believe you are being redundant.

You forgot the:

"redundant and repetitive again and again" part...

So the full statement is:

I believe you are being redundant [and repetitive again, like it always has been and will be forever].

However, I do think many people do not realize that Tor is not some magical thing... it's a tunnel and a proxy. It has exit and entry nodes, and anything a user accesses leaves the same sort of 'fingerprints' as on the 'regular' web... The difference is the origination IP address is obscured, but this trick does not make a given user 'invisible.'

Perhaps people on LXer and other technical websites understand... but I believe publishing articles advocating Tor use without including the technical problems and strict usage requirements is irresponsible reporting. That's not to say anything against this particular article --- which has nothing to do with Tor itself -- but I suppose my statement is a general voice of dissatisfaction with the 'security+anonymity' crew "out there" type articles which generally refer to Tor as some sort of magic thing which makes all tracking and tracing problems go away.
penguinist

May 18, 2016
9:30 PM EDT
That's a good point, dotmatrix. We saw another article float over the newswire today

It's trivially easy to identify you based on records of your calls and texts

and that article reminds us that it doesn't take an IP address to identify us, only a few pieces of metadata. There is only one person in the world with your specific browsing patterns. It only takes a few connections to paint your picture.

Paradoxically, if you want to retain anonymity, use Tor sparingly.
jdixon

May 19, 2016
10:28 AM EDT
> You forgot the...

I actually considered using "but your repeat yourself", in honor of the Mark Twain quote "Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.".

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!