Wrong title

Story: Additional YUM Repositories for CentOS, RHEL & Fedora SystemsTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
kikinovak

May 24, 2016
12:46 PM EDT
The title of the article should read "How to wreck your CentOS installation by mixing various third-party repositories that don't play well together while replacing core components of your system".
penguinist

May 24, 2016
1:01 PM EDT
@kikinovak: I totally agree with you. Consistency is compromised when we introduce "foreign repos" into our systems. With CentOS systems, I limit my repositories to:

1. CentOS

2. EPEL

3. Pip (for python libraries)

Anything beyond that introduces unnecessary consistency risk.
kikinovak

May 24, 2016
4:18 PM EDT
Well, some of them you can mix, but only with some caution and a sensible configuration of yum-priorities, so your base packages don't get squashed.
cybertao

May 24, 2016
10:00 PM EDT
I don't know about the other repositories, and therefore haven't had a need for them, but thought RPM Fusion was par for the Fedora course.
BFM

May 25, 2016
4:07 PM EDT
@cybertao Yes RPM Fusion has been pretty solid for Fedora. Other sites such as AtRPMs much less so. RPM conflicts are common there.
kikinovak

May 25, 2016
6:03 PM EDT
From RPM Fusion's home page:

"That software is provided as precompiled RPMs for all current Fedora versions and Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 and 6".

Since RHEL 7 has been out for almost two years, I'd consider that repository unmaintained.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!