Fork Wars.

Story: OwnCloud closes US office, blames NextcloudTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
dotmatrix

Jun 03, 2016
10:43 AM EDT
This is one thing that, while healthy overall, is very annoying with Open Source/ FOSS.

I run Owncloud on my personal domain... Now I'll need to switch horses as the Owncloud branch seems to be dying.

I hope the Nextcloud branch continues the development and integration of the online ODT editor... hopefully the "Collaboration Partner", Spreedbox,doesn't have key components locked away in proprietary 'enterprise only' functions and services... and yada, yada, everything new must be bad... yes?
nmset

Jun 03, 2016
5:21 PM EDT
I just upgraded to OwnCloud 9, so I can stick with it for a few months or years and see what happens to the original branch. I'm still using OpenOffice instead of LibreOffice, fork is synonym to rebellion, mmmhh...
kikinovak

Jun 04, 2016
1:36 AM EDT
Same here. I'm running OwnCloud for a few clients as well as for my personal needs. Now I wonder which way to go. Stay with OwnCloud? Move over to NextCloud? Go figure.
alc

Jun 04, 2016
7:21 AM EDT
I signed up for the Nextcloud newsletter. Until I see what they will be doing and offering, I'll stay with Owncloud.
alc

Sep 15, 2016
7:03 PM EDT
I just came across this today. Interesting.

http://carlaschroder.com/nextcloud-is-dirty-deal/

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!