If you need to make > 20 things to make it user-friendly

Story: Top 22 things to do after installing Fedora 24 to make as user friendlyTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
darkduck

Jun 24, 2016
8:53 AM EDT
...then the distribution is not for mass-market.

For sure!
penguinist

Jun 24, 2016
9:09 AM EDT
Actually I appreciated that article for several reasons:

1. Many of the tips offered are just common sense in any distribution, like check for updates after you install.

2. I've always appreciated the clarity that Fedora/RedHat brings to the license issue. If something is in the distribution's repository then you can be sure that it is 100% FOSS. Compare that to Android where you can't know if you are installing a GPL package or someone's closed software.

3. Because of #2, there will be some extra steps like installing Rpmfusion, a repository of compatible software not meeting the FOSS requirements of Fedora. The article shows the quick and easy steps to add the extras you want.

4. One of the tips in the article was to install extra desktops. This is not a burden if you like the Gnome desktop that comes with the installation. But I love it how easy it is in Fedora to add as many desktop alternatives as you like and to switch between them as you explore and check them out. There is no need to install an Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Eubuntu, etc etc if you you want to experiment. I find this a big plus point with the Fedora configuration.
jdixon

Jun 24, 2016
11:24 AM EDT
> There is no need to install an Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Eubuntu, etc etc if you you want to experiment.

There isn't with Ubuntu either, but you'd never know that from them. The other desktops are in the repositories. Of course if you want to play with multiple desktops with a .deb distribution you should probably just use Debian or Devuan.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!