Blunders or opportunities?

Story: Top 6 Desktop Linux BlundersTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
penguinist

Jul 20, 2016
6:16 AM EDT
I would quite agree with one of the author's points in that Linux is lacking a good pre-installed presence, and his ideas around improving this via Amazon marketing and similar outlets are good points I think, and an open opportunity for small vendors to step in and take charge.

One point I would take issue with however is the author's criticism of leading-edge users who are ready to install the "latest and greatest" on their systems. As I see it, it is a strength of the Linux community that we have people who cherish the opportunity to try the new, file bug reports, and contribute to the process. The thing the author seems to miss is that being on the leading edge is a choice with Linux and not a defacto attribute of Linux.

In my case I run CentOS on servers that need to be ultra stable (actually my wife also prefers CentOS on her desktop because she also likes the stability). On my own desktop and notebook, however, I generally tend toward leading-edge so that I can stay up to date with the latest advances, and yes, I don't mind spending some time drilling down deep to isolate problems and to file bug reports.

Jul 21, 2016
3:42 PM EDT
Most of this boils down to CADT...
NoDough

Jul 21, 2016
4:35 PM EDT
CADT ???

Center for Advancement of Disruptive Technology

Coiled Adder - Don't Trust

Cannot Add - Doesn't Try

Computer Aided Dullard Training

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!