Why Corporate Clouds will suffer a long and slow death.

Story: Why private clouds will suffer a long, slow deathTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
dotmatrix

Aug 15, 2016
6:01 PM EDT
I didn't read the article yet, but...

My private 'cloud' is awesome. I use it all the time for everything. I can share documents, pictures, and ideas without giving a single data unit to Google or the other information gathering and selling corporations.

I also run my own email server and all other web services I need and use. It's truly awesome.

Maybe I'll report back after reading the article.

***EDIT:

Reporting back.

So... it seems that the gist is that size matters and the biggest always wins.

Oh well, I guess I should expect as much from CIO.com...

I have a scale 1.0 ... and it's awesome.
penguinist

Aug 15, 2016
6:49 PM EDT
ditto -- 12TB private cloud storage, private email, private dns, private web, private media services

Some people are focused only on how easily they can point and click their way toward a solution. These are the same people who are happy to give away their privacy and their control in exchange for a few "features".

For me I have full trust in myself and little to no trust in external cloud providers. So private cloud will remain vital and active over here in my corner of the world.

So to the author is this article I defiantly say: "The king is dead, long live the king".
cybertao

Aug 16, 2016
10:16 AM EDT
I setup nextcloud on my home server. It's really only use to to backup data from my phone. When I get home the phone connects to the wifi and *bam* pictures are backed up, contacts and calendar are synced.

I tried it on a VPS at first but slow ADSL and expensive mobile data were restrictions that outweighed any convenience gained by being online. I've used Google's services for years out of convenience and it's great to be weening off that.
CFWhitman

Aug 16, 2016
10:52 AM EDT
The problem with the public cloud is that you're placing your data in someone else's hands. This means that you are trusting them to take care of things that you may not want to trust to someone else.

You are trusting them to keep the data private. Will they look at the data and use it for marketing? Will they provide even indirect access to the data to third parties? it's hard to know for certain.

You are trusting them to keep the data secure. Will they get hacked? What measures are they taking to prevent it? How many people have credentials that they have to keep safe?

You are trusting them with backups. Is their backup plan adequate? What will happen to your data if they go out of business?

Paranoid IT managers are hesitant to trust a third party with all the company's data. CIOs tend to be less paranoid for some reason, so there may be more movement in this direction, though the companies that do so may come to regret it later.
number6x

Aug 16, 2016
11:56 AM EDT
In health care and in financial business private clouds and vpn's are not doomed. They help companies maintain compliance with privacy regulations. trusting a customer's private health information or financial dealings to Amazon or Microsoft would probably be somewhat acceptable if the cloud vendors were willing to sign additional contracts to protect the data, but the health care or financial company would probably have to carry extra insurance in case of a breach.

Best to keep it in house and follow the rule of minimum exposure of private data.

Believe it or not, the health care industry and the financial industry are both rather large and represent quite a bit of data. *sarcasm intended

This line of business is probably not very interesting to many of the large cloud vendors. They would have to sign contracts prohibiting them from mining the data for other uses. This would most likely be counter to the business models that big cloud vendors want to follow.

These big vendors could get into the business of supplying 'turnkey' solutions that other industries could implement privately, but again that would stop them from mining the data and that is where the real profit is.
seatex

Aug 16, 2016
4:52 PM EDT
There has been a clear agenda to push everyone's private data to third party servers for years now. I personally will not be herded into that pen with the rest of the sheeple. And since I know there are still many who feel as I do on this subject, there will still be logical corporations that insist on controlling their own data storage.

However, I would not doubt if the federal government, IRS, NSA, etc tried to force all publicly traded companies to do so at some point, with keys for them.
mbaehrlxer

Aug 17, 2016
1:48 PM EDT
it comes down to cost. for a small to midsized company, managing their own data center is not an option. so the choice are dedicated servers (and a private cloud of containers on those) or public cloud. if you only need few resources, and lots of flexibility, then public cloud is cheaper. if you continuously use tens of gigabytes of memory, and terabytes of diskspace, then your own hosted servers will save money.

greetings, eMBee.
dotmatrix

Aug 17, 2016
5:09 PM EDT
@mbaehrlxer:

My experience has been the reverse. For a small to midsize company that is not a 'technology' company, a mid-sized IaaS server or two [or locally run servers] with a local backup plan works great. And I'll even remote manage it along with one site visit a month and three unscheduled site visits a year for one low fee...
mbaehrlxer

Aug 18, 2016
12:51 AM EDT
@dotmatrix: oh, sure, with "few resources" i meant if you need even less than that...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!