Eye on Open? More like 'Eye On Reddit'

Story: Why did Gentoo Linux fade into obscurity?Total Replies: 10
Author Content
arm

Aug 23, 2016
5:26 AM EDT
Everything this bloke posts on here is nothing more than quotes from reddit or else a quote from someone elses article followed by the reddit reaction of said article. Why is this rubbish even approved?
jimlynch

Aug 23, 2016
6:17 AM EDT
Greetings arm,

Sorry that you didn't like the article. I've been posting EOO articles here on Lxer for quite some time, and some people really do enjoy them.

Regarding Reddit, I often find interesting discussions in various subreddits (as well as in the comment threads and forums on other sites). So I like to include them in the open source roundups. I found the Gentoo topic quite illuminating, though it's pretty clear that you did not. But many people do like getting a heads up about such discussions, so I will continue to include them in the roundups.

Sorry that EOO isn't your cup of tea, but thanks for the feedback. :)
arm

Aug 26, 2016
1:30 PM EDT
Hi Jim.

I suppose I should think myself lucky that I didn't get a reply full of the `reddit` discussion of this thread. :P
cybertao

Aug 26, 2016
7:52 PM EDT
I'm currently writing a news article to publish through lxer about news articles based on Reddit comments being posted as news articles, based on comments from a Reddit discussion I created about news articles based on Reddit comments.
dotmatrix

Aug 26, 2016
9:32 PM EDT
That's repetitive and redundant again and again.
the_doctor

Aug 26, 2016
10:59 PM EDT
cybertao -- I'll add your article to my roundup and give it a really good click-bait title.
gus3

Aug 27, 2016
5:14 PM EDT
> repetetive and redudant

And repugnant and repulsive. ;-)
gary_newell

Sep 03, 2016
3:52 PM EDT
I like the EOO articles. They do this in mainstream media as well. If you watch the BBC news they have whole evenings dedicated to watching Twitter, Reddit and other social media sites.

Jim is a good guy and has written some very good articles over the years. Check out his iOS vs Android articles. Well worth a read.
mbaehrlxer

Sep 04, 2016
2:56 AM EDT
personally i'd love to see one topic per article, because then i can track each topic on its own, but other than that i do like the idea of collecting interesting thoughts and responses from various sources.

isn't that part of journalism? you pick a topic, you search for facts, and you interview people for their opinions and for more leads to facts.

picking comments from the net, is kind of like interviewing people...

greetings, eMBee.
BernardSwiss

Sep 04, 2016
9:41 PM EDT
There's always some people who will express sharp dissatisfaction with seeing "those" profoundly inadequate, fluffy articles in their beloved, superior, preferred publication -- whether in digital media or via Opaque Cellulose Technologies (occasionally it's the opposite plaint, that the articles are too abstruse and appeal to too narrow an audience). They're also usually certain that the problem is worse now than it was back when, and still declining.

The problem is, that there is generally little agreement on which of these articles are just another example of an ongoing, discouraging trend, and which articles are actually of some interest and may possible shed a little light on/from an interesting or useful perspective... at least for some regular readers of the publication ;-)
cybertao

Sep 04, 2016
11:34 PM EDT
mbaehrlxer wrote:journalism?
Hahaha, this is the Internet! 'Journalists' have to produce quantity, not quality, and try to clickbait it up some.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!