Story: The marriage of Microsoft and LinuxTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
nmset

Aug 24, 2016
8:50 AM EDT
<sarcasm>

http://lxer.com/module/newswire/ext_link.php?rid=233102

</sarcasm>

They lived a happy life with many beautiful offspring.
SamShazaam

Aug 24, 2016
11:31 AM EDT
More cheap talk to sucker in the unprepared.
penguinist

Aug 24, 2016
11:46 AM EDT
I see this as a dangerous time for the Linux community. MS appears to be launching a "full court press" against Linux right now. They even have a VP of Open Source.

I am reminded of what happened to Nokia not so long ago. A Microsoft exec somehow gets appointed as CEO of Nokia, and he immediately declares a "company emergency" and initiates a close alliance with MS which ultimately causes Nokia to be sucked in and basically extinguished along with the rest of Microsoft's failed mobile phone attempts.

Microsoft makes big promises, and unfortunately Nokia believed the promises. How many times does this scenario need to repeat itself before Microsoft permanently gets the bad industry reputation it so much deserves?

Now we have a full court press from Microsoft (lot's of smiles, hugs, and backslapping at conferences), this time with Linux as the target. Unfortunately there are still some people who believe Microsoft's promises.

It's a time for us to exersize extreme caution.
nmset

Aug 24, 2016
12:35 PM EDT
>before Microsoft permanently gets the bad industry reputation it so much deserves?

I think MS already trails along this bad reputation, and just doesn't care. They have got financial power, and will always have political backing because they are a big employer. I don't know by how much they will succeed to poison the Linux 'ecosystem'. One should only care for one's own personal computing needs and not entertain any hope of a logical world.

[>More cheap talk to sucker in the unprepared.

My basic academic English language level does not help me to understand that.]
NoDough

Aug 24, 2016
12:55 PM EDT
nmset wrote:More cheap talk to sucker in the unprepared.

My basic academic English language level does not help me to understand that.]

More empty promises to persuade the uninformed.
mbaehrlxer

Aug 25, 2016
2:50 AM EDT
does all this matter?

with nokia i think it went like this: microsoft promises stuff. nokia pours its resources into products based on microsofts promises. the promises don't hold up, and nokia goes bust because it has no more resources to recover.

that is unlikely going to repeat with linux. the linux community is going to pour its resources into what? building more software? and if that software turns out to be useless, does that mean the linux community will have expended all its resources and be unable to recover? i don't think so.

the linux community (and the whole Free Software community at that) was built from nothing. it's all sweat and labor. yes, sure, nowadays a lot of money goes into it too. but even if that money goes away, it won't be enough to kill the community because the sweat and labor will come back. and we can build on top of the already existing work.

microsoft may be able to hurt redhat and other commercial linux vendors. they may even become a linux vender themselves and take a share of the market. but they can't destroy the community nor can they take away the software we have already built.

so it doesn't matter what microsoft does. it does not matter whether microsoft wins (survives and continues to make profit) or looses. the Free Software community can't loose.

greetings, eMBee.
jdixon

Aug 25, 2016
11:41 AM EDT
Whatever Wim is preaching, I'm not buying it. It still sounds like Embrace, Extend, Extinguish to me.
flufferbeer

Aug 25, 2016
1:33 PM EDT
@jdixon

>> Whatever Wim is preaching, I'm not buying it. It still sounds like Embrace, Extend, Extinguish to me.

+1

Seems to me as well like your typical spinning/"Embracing" quack-off by this purported Good Cop to smooth the way for some good 'ol EEE follow-through. As the duck test goes, "If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably IS a duck".

Another current M$ spin-attempt for its "privacy washing" in Windo$ v10 is called out at https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20160823/07444535310/eff-c...

2c

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!