OpenOffice is dying, and death is near.

Story: Rumors of OpenOffice Demise ExaggeratedTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
dotmatrix

Sep 10, 2016
8:37 PM EDT
internetnews.com wrote:OpenOffice isn't in Apache Attic because those that continue to support it refuse to let it go there. I have little doubt that despite - or perhaps in spite - of the fact that LibreOffice has a larger market, mind and developer share that OpenOffice will persist for years yet to come.

Life can only be supported by so long through spite. Eventually, there is either sustained active development or project death.

Competition is good for product development. However, in this case I think the confusion created is not worth the competition. OpenOffice should yield the market to LibreOffice... of course, this is only my most very humblest of opinions.

--Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken.
jdixon

Sep 11, 2016
9:21 AM EDT
> OpenOffice isn't in Apache Attic because those that continue to support it refuse to let it go there.

Since the primary supporter was IBM, and they no longer need it for Symphony (discontinued last year, apparently), I'm not sure that's still the case.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!