The end of the beginning........

Story: Prominent Pro-Patent Judge Issues Opinion Declaring All Software Patents BadTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
Ridcully

Oct 07, 2016
3:56 AM EDT
Churchill spoke those words about the Battle for El Alamein in 1942 to indicate that the first part of the struggle was over. I feel the same way about this move to end the disgusting existence of software patents. I am so pleased, so very, very pleased to see this article and in particular these words:

Quoting:Judge Mayer makes the point (that some of us tried to make post-Alice), which the Supreme Court refused to say outright, and which many patent lawyers refused to admit: under the test in Alice, basically all software is unpatentable. And that's fine because software is "a form of language" and we don't patent language.

Even better is that Judge Mayer previously took the opposite view and agreed with software patents. It's good to see an open source concept breaking in.

Well Done Judge Mayer.

PS.......and I am vindictive enough to want to enjoy the screams of anguish that will eventually erupt from patent trolls, software patent lawyers, East Texas........and some very big software companies.....For too long these agencies have extracted ransom money for language use.
penguinist

Oct 07, 2016
9:01 AM EDT
If this actually fixes the software patent problem, Judge Haldane Mayer should get a Nobel Prize
seatex

Oct 07, 2016
1:25 PM EDT
> If this actually fixes the software patent problem, Judge Haldane Mayer should get a Nobel Prize

Too bad that prize has lost it's credibility, since Obama got the Nobel Peace Prize, and is now pushing WWIII with Russia.

Anyway, back on topic. Yes, this is a wonderful development and I really hope it sticks and is not overruled by the crony supreme court.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!