Really Java is required-Not!

Story: How To Install JAVA (OpenJDK/JRE) 6 / 7 / 8 on LinuxTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
gfre

Nov 21, 2016
1:16 PM EDT
"JAVA is necessary to run most of the applications in Linux and windows machine." This is utter crap. Java is only required for a few programs, the vast majority of software for Linux, probably greater than 95% do NOT require Java. Please get your facts straight.
gary_newell

Nov 21, 2016
2:14 PM EDT
C and Python appear to be the main languages used.

Java is required for Minecraft though.

Anyway... the article does show you how to install Java on Linux so that is all that really counts
jdixon

Nov 21, 2016
5:25 PM EDT
> Anyway... the article does show you how to install Java on Linux so that is all that really counts

Actually, no it doesn't. I quote "In this article i’m going to explain how to install OpenJDK in Linux distro such as RHEL, CentOS, Fedora, Ubuntu, Debian, Mint, openSUSE & Arch Linux based systems." Now what distro branch do you suppose they could have left out?

I hadn't even realized I didn't have Java installed on my most recent system until I needed it to run a work application from home. I think LibreOffice still requires it though.
dotmatrix

Nov 22, 2016
11:22 PM EDT
>I hadn't even realized I didn't have Java installed on my most recent system until I needed it to run a work application from home.

Java? What's that?

I don't know why schools teach that crud anyway... Java is only kinda/sorta/not really write once run anywhere. It's more like write ten times run some places and some times. JVMs are not compatiable either between vendors or between versions. The language changes and libraries are added and subtracted over time. It's all crud. Write it in ANSI C and then it will compile almost anywhere for almost any architecture.

>I think LibreOffice still requires it though.

Only some database functions... I think...
mortenalver

Dec 08, 2016
5:48 AM EDT
Quoting: JVMs are not compatiable either between vendors or between versions.

It's not that bad. Like any other programming language, if you really want to you can surely tie your program closely to a specific version or vendor, but if you write normal, sane, programs in Java you'll usually be fine.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!