No.

Story: Is encrypted e-mail a must in the Trump presidential era?Total Replies: 7
Author Content
jdixon

Nov 22, 2016
6:55 AM EDT
If you're worried about privacy, encrypted email has been must for something like 20 years. Who is President has nothing to do with it. The NSA isn't going away.
nmset

Nov 22, 2016
9:26 AM EDT
You're right, but probably more than 90% of users won't know how to generate a GPG key, keep the private key in the first instance, next keep it secure, share the public key, setup their mail client ... and 90% of these 90% will just say 'I have nothing to hide !', quite a dumb statement, as if they are supposed to have something to show.
gus3

Nov 22, 2016
11:58 AM EDT
"Who is President has nothing to do with it." Indeed.

But I bet the losing front-runner really wishes she'd encrypted her emails.
jdixon

Nov 22, 2016
3:08 PM EDT
> But I bet the losing front-runner really wishes she'd encrypted her emails.

Oh, they would have been, if she had kept them on the State Department servers. Sometimes you just have to marvel at karma at work.
BernardSwiss

Nov 22, 2016
8:09 PM EDT
>> But I bet the losing front-runner really wishes she'd encrypted her emails.

> Oh, they would have been, if she had kept them on the State Department servers. Sometimes you just have to marvel at karma at work.

- - -

This is a rather strange exchange, since it made absolutely no difference, and wouldn't have made any difference, whether Hillary's emails were encrypted or not.

Perhaps you mean the DNC emails? It would have saved them some embarrassment -- not that there was much there to distinguish the DNC from their Republican counterpart, or from any other political party apparatus or any other political party SOP.

And presumably the Clinton Foundation had very little reason to encrypt much of their email, and would have seen little advantage to doing so, except on an occasional basis for the occasional, legitimately confidential document.

dotmatrix

Nov 22, 2016
9:30 PM EDT
The posted article has nothing -- or not much -- to do with encrypted email. The topic of the posted article is encrypted 'cloud' storage... or in other words, encrypted data at rest while 'in the cloud'.

Encrypted email is only possible with either PGP or S/MIME. In both these cases, any service will do just fine... the keys belong to end users. However, both end users need to understand what it means to send 'encrypted email'.

It's a bit unfortunate that 'encryption everywhere' is a meme that is often repeated but little understood.

The funniest line from the posted article is this one:

Quoting:Installing encryption software for yourself on a regular PC, probably with your keys kept in regular memory, is not going to stop the NSA.

Yes... installing encryption software on a regular PC and [keeping the keys separate from the PC] will definitely stop the NSA from seeing things encrypted with those keys.

The problem is most people, even professionals, don't 'do security and encryption right.'
seatex

Nov 27, 2016
9:28 AM EDT
I'm betting the NSA has enough crunching power in that huge building in Utah to hack encryption keys.
patrokov

Nov 29, 2016
1:52 PM EDT
>>I'm betting the NSA has enough crunching power in that huge building in Utah to hack encryption keys.

Sure, but if everyone routinely used encryption, it would force the NSA to focus only on "high value" information instead of everything ordinary people do.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!