ok, i'll sow some discord

Story: It’s Time to Ditch Skype and TeamSpeak, Discord Launches Its App for Linux UsersTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
mbaehrlxer

Jan 12, 2017
2:21 AM EDT
discord may be a decent alternative to skype, it certainly isn't for mumble or teamspeak:

* discord is not Free Software (ok, neither is teamspeak, but mumble is)

* in difference to mumble and teamspeak, it does not allow me to host my own server

* it requires user registration with an email address, mumble and teamspeak work without any registration and don't need a password.

the only upside i can see is that it has a webinterface, so people can participate without requiring a client. but now that slack supports voice too even that is not really an advantage.

greetings, eMBee.
dotmatrix

Jan 12, 2017
10:11 AM EDT
Unfortunately, the 'powers that be' fought XMPP very hard.

Unfortunately, the 'powers that be' fight against most things that enable true user freedom.

Eventually, 'the powers that be' will be defeated by the technology that is available. However, we are not quite there yet. Almost. But not quite.

Skype will remain the 'power that is' because it's the network that matters not the source code or the provider. If any of these networks were actually open and worked on real interoperability, each one would disappear rather quickly and be replaced by non-corporate peer-to-peer connections.
skelband

Jan 12, 2017
2:19 PM EDT
There are already a lot of interesting projects out there, some integrating encryption into their very fabric. The problem is the same as Facebook and Twitter, people go where their friends already are and will put up with a lot of sh*t because of that.

As has already been indicated, one way out of that stalemate is for the players to congregate around a common protocol, and that's never going to happen in the case of the proprietary players.

Of the open source options that I have tried in the past, I've found them very flaky although more recent Tox clients have been very stable for me. As ever, nobody that I want to communicate with is using it though :(

Catch 22

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!