Finally a full featured Skype replacement

Story: Video calls for Signal now in public betaTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
penguinist

Feb 15, 2017
11:32 AM EDT
Yesterday's update to "Signal" brought in beta support for video calling, and in my limited testing it seems to work pretty well as a first cut beta.

Signal is GPL software supporting targets of Android, iPhone, and multiplatform desktop. I'm encouraged that this might be my Skype replacement going forward.
jdixon

Feb 15, 2017
12:08 PM EDT
I wonder if they will support the Kindle Fire? I've been looking for a good video calling option for it, since it doesn't have Google Hangouts.
penguinist

Feb 15, 2017
12:30 PM EDT
One limitation I'm seeing with Signal is that it uses the existing sms phone number as the device identifier. This means that only "phones" with an active sms/phone service can use the app. This probably excludes your Kindle.

That said, I noticed on the blog that there is discussion around extending Signal to support "tablets". I presume that means support for devices without an active sms phone number.
penguinist

Feb 15, 2017
12:51 PM EDT
jdixon: I'm starting to see through the fog a little bit. Signal uses the sms phone number as verification that you are really you. A workaround for wifi-only devices is to use a google-voice phone number to get through the identification/registration process. This might open up your Kindle as a possibility.

I don't have experience with the Kindle, but from what I understand it is Android-based but without Google Play. How about side-loading the Signal app and then proceeding with the google-voice workaround? Might that be workable?
jdixon

Feb 15, 2017
4:47 PM EDT
> How about side-loading the Signal app and then proceeding with the google-voice workaround? Might that be workable?

It does sound like that might work, yes. Someday when I have time though, and that won't be for a while. I'm still trying to find time to upgrade to Slackware 14.2 from 14.1. :(

And yes, you're understanding of the Kindle Fire is the same as mine. It is Android, but it's heavily modified and doesn't have the Google Apps. You have to sideload any apps you want from the play store, with varying degrees of success.
nmset

Feb 15, 2017
5:01 PM EDT
Does anybody know if Signal sucks up the contact list, à la Viber ?
penguinist

Feb 15, 2017
8:01 PM EDT
nmset: importing of the contact list is supported but not required. If you choose not to import then you only see Signal users in the list, if you do choose to import then you see all your contacts with the Signal-enabled ones specially marked.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!