Proof that Apple is not your friend

Story: Apple Wants To Stop You Fixing Your iPhone And iPad: Source Says It Will Testify Against 'Right To Repair' LegislationTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
dotmatrix

Feb 18, 2017
11:31 AM EDT
The right to repair is a fundamental right of freedom. Without it, anyone and everyone becomes a criminal.

Unfortunately, the US Constitution does not directly list the "Right to Repair." It is sometimes listed in very fine print under the 1st Amendment.
seatex

Feb 18, 2017
12:20 PM EDT
I personally never "buy" anything I don't fully own. But most sheeple will...
penguinist

Feb 18, 2017
1:01 PM EDT
As I understand this issue, Apple will most likely argue that user repairs could damage lithium ion batteries and cause them to explode.

Well, according to what I read in the news 99% of the exploding lion batteries were caused by OEM design flaws. Maybe what we should be pushing for is a demand for open hardware so that we can peer review OEM designs for safety.

Taking steps to further hide OEM design errors works against public safety. I don't think that closed hardware (hardware that fails to permit peer safety review) should be permitted in airline carry-on or checked luggage since we have no way to independently verify that the closed hardware does not contain a potentially exploding battery.

I hope someone presents this counterargument when Apple gets up to make their proposal.
alc

Feb 18, 2017
1:43 PM EDT
"Well, according to what I read in the news 99% of the exploding lion batteries were caused by OEM design flaws. Maybe what we should be pushing for is a demand for open hardware so that we can peer review OEM designs for safety."

Change that to software and we have MS. We all know how much they want peer review.

GDStewart

Feb 18, 2017
1:58 PM EDT
From what I've read the problem with the batteries is that they are glued to the case (there are better ways to secure them but then they become replaceable) and there is no good way to remove them without damaging the battery making them non-replaceable.
dotmatrix

Feb 18, 2017
2:08 PM EDT
@GDStewart:

I never tried to remove an iThing battery... but there seems to be a rather long and tedious process:

http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-the-Battery-from-an-iPhone

I have removed a battery from a Mac Book Pro. It's a pain in the butt... and takes way too long if you are trying to limit electrical shorting damage from a liquid spilled into the machine.

Personally, I don't buy expensive electronic things that have no quick and easy way to remove all sources of power.
jdixon

Feb 18, 2017
6:35 PM EDT
> Proof that Apple is not your friend

Corporations are a government creation. From the government's perspective, they exist to pay taxes, provide jobs for the populace, and provide goods the government needs. From their own perspective, they exist to make money for their shareholders (I've heard of a few that consider their employees on an equal or near equal footing with their shareholders, but never actually encountered one).

Why would such an entity be considered anyone's "friend".

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!