Totally misleading article

Story: Top 5 programming languages for DevOpsTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
linux4567

Apr 10, 2017
10:13 AM EDT
The two most used programming languages by DevOps are in my experience still Shell-scripting and Perl. 'C' on the other hand is rarely used.

The term DevOps itself is nothing but a fancy new name for Sysadmins, coding/scripting tasks have always been part of the tasks of a Sysadmin.
mbaehrlxer

Apr 10, 2017
11:40 AM EDT
Quoting:coding/scripting tasks have always been part of the tasks of a Sysadmin
agreed, however i feel that it was also always considered a second-class skill for sysadmins, at least as far as the perception from the outside goes: "sysadmins are not programmers". i do feel that the term devops helped align expectations with reality.

besides shell and perl, python and ruby are strong too. (all our devops code is in python), and if i catch anyone using C for sysadmin tasks in my company, they'll have a hell of explaining to do to justify that.

the most unusual language i have seen used for devops is php...

greetings, eMBee.
caitlyn

Apr 22, 2017
4:58 PM EDT
I see more demand for python than PERL these days. If you really want a devops position (which is really sysadmin + a bit more coding experience) I'd recommend learning both really, really well.
penguinist

Apr 23, 2017
3:14 AM EDT
I have to agree with caitlyn on the python point. For me the python library support is outstanding and I have basically gone with python and bash as the two primary languages for "DevOps" purposes.

I loved Ruby as an elegant language, but Ruby just didn't keep up with the library side of things.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!