Who's using who?

Story: The ultimate Linux Trojan horse: Windows Subsystem for LinuxTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
seatex

May 17, 2017
11:09 PM EDT
Although I see Brian Lunduke's point that being able to run Linux within Windows 10 can aid further adoption of open-source software, I can also see Microsoft using this to further their imagined case that they own Linux intellectual property, as they already claim through their previous and current patent extortions.
JaseP

May 18, 2017
3:48 PM EDT
I think it's more to get people to run MS on bare metal and make use of Linux only as guest on a Windows host. They already make it incredibly difficult to install Linux on a machine that comes with Win10, and to run any version of Windows after Vista as a virtual guest on a Linux host.
DrGeoffrey

May 18, 2017
8:10 PM EDT
JaseP's observation makes it obvious how important the NSA is to MS.
BernardSwiss

May 18, 2017
8:32 PM EDT
I haven't followed this very closely, but I can't help wondering about the security implications of this.

I have heard for example, that this "Linux Sub-system" doesn't implement anything like 'su' or 'sudo'. How careful is Microsoft being about the implementation? Is this going to end up being the next 'Windows Scripting Host'-style malware vector?
seatex

May 18, 2017
8:51 PM EDT
JaseP - Good points. Secure Boot was likely Stage 1, with this being Stage 2.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!