windows is the base layer

Story: Ubuntu Linux Is Now Available for Download from the Microsoft Windows StoreTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
mbaehrlxer

Jul 11, 2017
2:10 AM EDT
i just realized that one thing that the windows subsystem for linux will do is to solidify the impression that windows is everyones base operating system.

windows is what comes with your computer, and linux, or anything else is what gets installed on top of it. pretty soon we'll see servers running linux, where linux is actually running on top of windows.

like azure is microsofts platform to run linux virtual machines, windows will become the base operating system to run linux servers on hardware.

microsoft is turning into the platform layer, and linux will be the application layer.

how long will it take before people realize that this windows platform layer is completely redundant?

:-(

greetings, eMBee.
penguinist

Jul 11, 2017
3:56 AM EDT
Good observations.

The way I see it is that we are still in the "embrace" stage. It won't be long and the Windosers will start to see promises of "enhancements" in the Microsoft-Linux "layer".
jdixon

Jul 11, 2017
6:43 AM EDT
> how long will it take before people realize that this windows platform layer is completely redundant?

If Microsoft did a good enough job of hiding it they'd never realize it.

> It won't be long and the Windosers will start to see promises of "enhancements" in the Microsoft-Linux "layer".

That's a safe bet. The last I heard the Linux layer ran with as root.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!