So what harm has Mozilla suffered?

Story: Mozilla Files Suit Against FCC to Protect Net NeutralityTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
jdixon

Jan 16, 2018
8:36 PM EDT
I'm inclined to think the case will be dismissed for lack of standing.
seatex

Jan 16, 2018
10:17 PM EDT
> I'm inclined to think the case will be dismissed for lack of standing.

I have to agree. A case like this needs a bad guy with proof of bad actions. And even then, the bad guy would need to be in a monopolistic position in the internet service market. There are specific examples of this already in the real world, of course. I do believe the free market should be allowed to work first - let consumers punish bad players by dropping them and switching to a competitor.

I would rather see the good intention efforts focused on bringing more choices and competitors into the internet service market, quite frankly.
cr

Jan 16, 2018
11:33 PM EDT
> let consumers punish bad players by dropping them and switching to a competitor.

That only works if there's a viable competitor to switch to. Much of the country suffers under monopoly/duopoly conditions in part thanks to anti-community-broadband laws rammed through thanks mainly to those companies' lobbyists. Bust those laws and you'll soon have those market conditions in some places at least. If you can't bust those laws, we'll have to bust up Ma Bell all over again: content creators can't be content carriers, the last mile can't be in the long-distance business. Until then, Net Neutrality regulations are a needed stopgap IMO.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!