Author Content
penguinist

Jun 04, 2018
11:35 AM EDT

https://help.github.com/articles/deleting-your-user-account/

flufferbeer

Jun 04, 2018
4:05 PM EDT
So bad 'ole EEE Macro$ucks is *currently* letting people easily delete their GitHub accounts, eh?

Here's to betting that M$ will *eventually* EXTINGUISH this ease-of-deletion by somehow "improving" (via EXTENDING to their own advantage) M$-GitHub "features" such as this!

EEE = Embrace, Extend, Extinguish..... Never forget it!!

2c
jdixon

Jun 04, 2018
10:53 PM EDT
> EEE = Embrace, Extend, Extinguish..... Never forget it!!

Not much chance of that. I've seen it in action too many times.
gus3

Jun 05, 2018
10:22 PM EDT
I have a Github account. (You get one guess as to the name.) I won't be deleting it, at least for now, for one simple reason. My published code is all "proof of concept," stuff to download and study, but not anything to monetize.

Nothing against those who leave Github for Gitlab or some other public SCCS, I understand the motivation. But I seriously doubt that Voldemort can turn my Github projects into a wacked-out patent-infringement case.

Having said that, the instant someone can show me that it is *actually happening* (and I won't dismiss the possibility), I'll migrate ASAP. But for now, an hour of researching alternatives is an hour of my life that I lose, trying to prepare for something that I honestly don't foresee happening to my code.
seatex

Jun 06, 2018
9:55 AM EDT
What if you buy a cruise ship for $7.5 Billion, and everyone jumps off and never books reservations?

Hopefully, we'll find out.
nmset

Jun 06, 2018
2:39 PM EDT
$7.5 Billion as stock value, not cash. I don't think such a share volume can be sold in one single transaction. Progressive selling may decrease the stock value significantly. That's far more than buying a company, it's owning the current CEO's person as a property. Really not a deal at all.
seatex

Jun 06, 2018
5:29 PM EDT
Oh right, it was a stock purchase. So, I'm predicting a rapid downward trajectory in that stock value.
jdixon

Jun 06, 2018
8:22 PM EDT
> So, I'm predicting a rapid downward trajectory in that stock value.

It's Microsoft stock. Copyright on Windows and Office effectively gives Microsoft a license to print money, so that's not very likely.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!