Extend phase starts

Story: Microsoft and Linux's love-in heats up as SUSE tunes kernel for AzureTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
penguinist

Aug 20, 2018
2:01 PM EDT
Aha, MS must feel that they have finished with the Embrace phase, and now they can start with the Extend phase.

"SLES 15 on Azure should deliver up to 25 percent faster network throughput and a 23 percent reduction in.. " blah, blah, blah...

Yup sounds like classic Embrace tactic. Microsoft would have us believe next that a Microsoft-Linux kernel will be sooo much better than a Linux kernel in so many ways. Uh huh, where have I heard this line before?
seatex

Aug 20, 2018
4:28 PM EDT
And for those developers still using GitHub, I'm predicting they will soon be paying more $$$ in monthly subscriptions for the services they use on GitHub - a la carte.

Yep, definitely in the extend mode now.
nmset

Aug 21, 2018
3:48 AM EDT
>I'm predicting they will soon be paying more $$$ in monthly subscriptions for the services they use on GitHub

What will Linus Torvalds do with the Linux repository ? He hasn't talked about that situation yet AFAIK.

>a Microsoft-Linux kernel will be sooo much better than a Linux kernel

If OEMs ship desktops with Microsoft Linux instead of Windows, that would be great, we could still reinstall our prefered distro withe the assurance that every driver is available :-)
jdixon

Aug 21, 2018
9:14 AM EDT
> If OEMs ship desktops with Microsoft Linux instead of Windows, that would be great, we could still reinstall our prefered distro withe the assurance that every driver is available

You're assuming they wouldn't provide proprietary locked down hardware with proprietary locked down drivers as an add-on package. I wouldn't count on that if I were you.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!