This doesn't mention Master PDF Editor

Story: How to Create and Edit PDF files in UbuntuTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
jdixon

Mar 15, 2019
3:09 PM EDT
Master PDF Editor is a free download for Linux systems. The unregistered version limits your editing abilities, but for things like moving pages around, etc., it's more than sufficient. And at $70 for the registered version, it's not unreasonably priced. You can find it at https://code-industry.net/free-pdf-editor/

I used it quite a bit last year to rotate/move some pages in some scanned PDF's and it's worked well for that purpose.

If I remember correctly, the 4.x version had more extensive editing capabilities in the free version, and you can still find packages for it around if you look.

See https://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php?topic=146102.0 for a discussion of same.
penguinist

Mar 15, 2019
3:52 PM EDT
My favorite tools are also not mentioned in that article. Being a cli guy, I like to automate big projects, so my tools of choice are:

pdfseparate

pdfunite

both are part of the poppler utils package.
AwesomeTux

Mar 17, 2019
8:33 AM EDT
LXer is a news site for open source software. Master PDF Editor is proprietary software. There is no way of knowing what that software is doing while it is executing on your computer. I would personally advise against using such software, especially since good open source alternatives do exist. LibreOffice being one of them, as this fine article demonstrates.
jdixon

Mar 17, 2019
10:30 AM EDT
> LXer is a news site for open source software.

Not completely. Simply see the frequent articles about Windows that appear in the news feed, to give just one example.

I never claimed it was open source. In fact, I listed the price for the registered version. I merely noted that it is a useful tool for basic editing of PDF's. If you don't want to use it, don't, but not everyone is interested in limiting themselves to only open source software.
AwesomeTux

Mar 18, 2019
7:55 AM EDT
jdixon wrote:Not completely. Simply see the frequent articles about Windows that appear in the news feed, to give just one example.

Good point, but those should be removed, in my opinion. Unless we're talking about the "non-linux foss" type articles, which are helpful and on topic.

jdixon wrote:I never claimed it was open source. In fact, I listed the price for the registered version. I merely noted that it is a useful tool for basic editing of PDF's. If you don't want to use it, don't, but not everyone is interested in limiting themselves to only open source software.

Zero cost != open source, and non-zero cost != proprietary (see Ardour).

I don't mean to make a judgement about you or how you wish to use your computer. I was just trying to explain why the author most likely left a proprietary piece of software out of their article about open source software.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!