Attempting to install Linux on a new laptop

Story: Attempting to install Linux on a new laptopTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
seatex

Jun 07, 2019
8:35 PM EDT
Although I have no experience installing Linux on the Dell model you are using, I did replace Win10 with Xubuntu 18.04 LTS on a neighbor's HP Stream laptop - also with 4GB memory and 32GB eMMC - last year.

This was done for the same reason you describe, with 32GB of storage now being inadequate for all the spyware updates in Windows 10.

Based on that experience, and Dell claiming initial Linux support for the model you have, I would bet you can replace Win10 for Linux on the eMMC without any problems. Just a bet though.
jdixon

Jun 08, 2019
12:35 AM EDT
I suspect that either Ubuntu or Mint would install on the eMMC with no problems, yes. I was hoping to make a dual boot system so my wife could use Windows. But the Realtek SD chipset sort of shot that idea. :(

I may back up the Windows installation and give it another try in a few months. Right now I have too much else going on.
Bob_Mesibov

Jun 08, 2019
2:01 AM EDT
Thanks for the post. When you wrote "install" I assumed you meant as a replacement OS. I've had no trouble wiping Windows and installing Debian (as a laptop OS) on eMMC machines. My "travelling" laptop is an Asus X205T (32GB eMMC) which came with Windows 8.1 (never used, wiped on Debian install) from 2015.
gus3

Jun 08, 2019
2:05 AM EDT
Maybe "attach" would have been a better verb?
arochester

Jun 08, 2019
5:22 AM EDT
Your "new" laptop was retired 29th May 2009. 10 years ago!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!