A couple of points

Story: How to install TeamViewer in Linux ?Total Replies: 2
Author Content
jdixon

Oct 16, 2019
6:07 AM EDT
First, Teamviewer installs it's own repository when you install it, and then updates with your system. If you trust Teamviewer as a company, this is a good thing. If you don't, it's not.

Second, it used to be that any newer version of Teamviewer would connect to any older version. The last time I tried it, that no longer appeared to be the case. It looks like the free license is now locked down so that both ends must be using the latest version. I know that Teamviewer 12 would no longer connect (even to the same version) the last time I tried it. As to why I was using it rather than the latest version? Well, that brings us to number 3...

Third, Teamviewer 13 and up have qt5 as a dependency, which means they don't work with a standard install of Slackware 14.2.

Fourth, for the casual user, I've found Anydesk better, and it also has a Linux version: https://anydesk.com/

Teamviewer does let you set up a free account, which allows you to add machines to it so that you can maintain a list of them and connect to them without a password. The non-commercial version of Anydesk doesn't seem to have that feature. So if you do tech support for a number of family/friends, that may make Teamviewer a better option.
seatex

Oct 19, 2019
9:06 AM EDT
jdixon - Thanks for the tip about AnyDesk. I've used TeamViewer for years, but I encounter more and more problems with it every year - breaking backwards compatibility, frequent connection loss/crashing (hard to say which sometimes).

Anyway, I've been exploring replacement options, before having to swap out TV on all my family and client PCs.
jdixon

Oct 19, 2019
12:22 PM EDT
> I've used TeamViewer for years, but I encounter more and more problems with it every year - breaking backwards compatibility, frequent connection loss/crashing (hard to say which sometimes).

Except for the crashing, that's been my experience too. It looks very much like they're trying to limit the free for personal use version as much as possible without actually doing away with it. Except for the list of computers associated with your account, Anydesk seems to be just as good and seems to offer a better connection.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!