LM20 Xfce might not be low enough HW reqs

Story: Linux Mint 20 isn't exactly bursting with freshness but, hey, there's kernel 5.4 and it's a long-term support releaseTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
flufferbeer

Jul 02, 2020
5:03 PM EDT
The article quotes

/* Although the Xfce edition is more lightweight, all three have the same stated system requirements: 1GB RAM (2GB recommended), 15GB disk space (20GB recommended) and 1024 x 768 screen resolution. By way of comparison, Canonical recommends 4GB RAM and 25GB disk space for Ubuntu 20.04. Microsoft's Windows 10 has almost the same minimum requirements as Mint: 2GB RAM, 20GB disk space and an 800x600 display, for 64-bit systems. In practice we think Mint Xfce is likely to perform better than Windows on a low-end PC. */

But Baboontu (that's the mothership Ubuntu for BABOON beings!) still has a lightweight Lxde version available found at https://lubuntu.net/ which is even better for "a low-end PC". Linux Mint itself doesn't have that by default, and neither does LM's Debian Edition "Debbie".

fb

cabreh

Jul 02, 2020
8:39 PM EDT
Probably because most people pick Cinnamon.
seatex

Jul 04, 2020
7:43 PM EDT
I have a bunch of 10 year old PCs I've refurbished, all with dual core Pentiums and Core 2 Duos. All have 4GB memory and 160-500GB HDs. I picked Linux Mint XFCE for them and they run great with it. Linux Mint XFCE is only using about 18MB less RAM than the MATE version (when first booted), at around 474MB. But, XFCE feels peppier to me on older hardware and I like it's controls a bit better than MATE for some reason.
jdixon

Jul 04, 2020
8:31 PM EDT
More importantly for me, neither Mint nor Ubuntu provide a 32 bit version in the latest releases.

That means my 19 year old laptop with it's Atom processor is no longer supported. :(

LMDE 4 does still provide a 32 bit version, so I may use it.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!