Which one of dates is correct 12/31/2020 or 12/31/2021 ?

Story: The CentOS Project Just Committed SuicideTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
dba477

Dec 09, 2020
10:42 AM EDT
Check carefully https://fosspost.org/centos-project-suicide/

In shocking news the CentOS project announced today that are shifting their Linux distribution to be based on the beta (non-stable) branch of Red Hat Enterprise Linux, rather than the stable branch. And that they are terminating CentOS 8 updates at the 31st of December, 2021.

So, which one of dates is correct 12/31/2020 or 12/31/2021 ?

Per https://blog.centos.org/2020/12/future-is-centos-stream/ the date is 12/31/2021

Quoting

The future of the CentOS Project is CentOS Stream, and over the next year we’ll be shifting focus from CentOS Linux, the rebuild of Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL), to CentOS Stream, which tracks just ahead of a current RHEL release. CentOS Linux 8, as a rebuild of RHEL 8, will end at the end of 2021. CentOS Stream continues after that date, serving as the upstream (development) branch of Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

penguinist

Dec 09, 2020
10:48 AM EDT
It looks like there will be a need for a CentOS replacement project. If CentOS proceeds with this plan, then that huge vacuum will certainly be filled. That's the beauty of FOSS.
Scott_Ruecker

Dec 09, 2020
12:07 PM EDT
I added an Editor's Note to the LXer post with the correct date.
dba477

Dec 09, 2020
2:05 PM EDT
That looks to me as an excellent option for Debian Bullseye to replace CentOS 8.X during summer of 2021. Rolling release like CentOS Stream is useless for any kind of business except RH's development.
jdixon

Dec 09, 2020
5:14 PM EDT
> Rolling release like CentOS Stream is useless for any kind of business except RH's development.

The remaining question is: With CentOS becoming the RHEL development platform, what is the future if Fedora?

I think we can all guess the answer to that.
dba477

Dec 09, 2020
5:38 PM EDT
Quote "Fedora has a relatively short life cycle: each version is usually supported for at least 13 months, where version X is supported only until 1 month after version X+2 is released and with approximately 6 months between most versions.Fedora users can upgrade from version to version without reinstalling"

Fedora is the cut of the edge distro versus CentOS Stream, so stable Fedora's releases 34,35, . . would be much more worth full for community due to 13 month support cycle , unless RH will break stabilizing of Fedora's releases as well, i.e. forking stable branches from Fedora Rawhide.
mbaehrlxer

Dec 10, 2020
4:38 AM EDT
i'd say fedora is the platform for prototyping and testing new technologies. centos will be unstable/testing for RHEL, and rocky is the replacement for centos.

greetings, eMBee.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!