Sigh, it's not Windows

Story: What Are the Drawbacks of Switching to Linux?Total Replies: 2
Author Content
cjcox

Oct 28, 2021
5:51 PM EDT
Another bad opinion piece where someone that demands Windows is frustrated that Linux is not Windows.

Well, here's a challenge. For every ONE thing you are frustrated with where "Linux can't" or "Linux doesn't", I can name 10 things where "Linux can or does" and "Windows can't or doesn't".

People say it's hard to go from Linux to Windows. If you've lived Linux long enough, the frustration might be 10 times greater going back.
penguinist

Oct 29, 2021
8:20 AM EDT
You make good points cj. Here are a few starters:

- file system support: windows likes ntfs and fat, linux likes them too and dozens of others.

- developer support: as a developer who has worked in both the windows and the linux worlds, I can say how very frustrating it is to be chasing a bug in a windows app only to get to a brick wall beyond which visibility is denied. My windows developer colleagues became experts at 'trial and error debugging'. Contrast this to the Linux environment where there are no secrets and no brick walls. Everything is visible and developers can delve as deep as they want, all the way to the bare metal if need be.
jdixon

Oct 29, 2021
5:41 PM EDT
> where someone that demands Windows is frustrated that Linux is not Windows.

I figured that was the case from the headline and didn't even bother reading it. :)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!