Author Content
slestak

Feb 19, 2004
4:25 AM EDT
riiiight.....
Howie

Feb 19, 2004
9:44 AM EDT
There is something wrong with using IE and safe in the same sentance.
mojavelinux

Feb 21, 2004
7:12 AM EDT
Yes, "safe" and "IE" should be ban from being used in the same sentence unless prefixed with "it is not."

Advocacy is the key. For the sake of security, sanity of web developers and increased productivity, if you see anyone using IE, please say something, even if it is your boss', boss' boss. Warn him/her how insecure and primitive IE is and show them the light. Believe me, with enough persuasion, people will begin to change over, I have witnessed it. I am not saying that all people can be persuaded. What I am saying is that they will realize that it is not just your babbling that is selling them, it is the features of FireFox and it is worth giving it a run.

I have a true story to tell you.

Recently I became hooked on YetiSports (http://yetisports.org). I gave the url to one of my co-workers and she tried to bring it up, only to be prompted with a message that Flash was not installed. She accepted the request to have it installed only to find out it would fail due to "improper permissions."

I immediately told her to install Firebird (at the time) and following that installation she brought up the yetisports page again. Once again it prompted her that Flash would be installed, and before she knew it, yetisports was up and running.

Following the incident, she said, and I quote, "Now why can't IE work like that?" I was rolling on the floor with joy ;)

I think the lesson here to be learned is that M$ products work great under exactly one set of circumstances. In this case, IE + plugins w/o admin rights (admin rights is like running as root) caused the plugin installer to fail. These programs are simply not adaptive to multiple environments. Mozilla works by trying to put plugins in the main installation path first, and then falls back to installing them locally per user. They have considered a much more diverse set of users than M$ ever did and therefore, win over users.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!