A letter I sent to the publisher

Story: Question mark hangs over Linux/Windows reportsTotal Replies: 0
Author Content
peragrin

Apr 08, 2004
12:07 PM EDT
>If the open-source community wishes to see what in its eyes would be a more accurate reflection of >the true costs of Windows and Linux, it could do worse than commission and fund its own >independent review into the market.

Actually that is the worse Idea out there. Microsoft studies are so suspect simply because they are financed by MS or an MS partner. If the open source communtiy did the same MS can use the same FUD againist the open source communtiy. We must strive to be better than the monopolist. We must use only the truth. If Windows happens to be a better fit then let it. If Linux works better then so be it. If Mac OSX is the best option the that to should be used. In my Life I use a powerbook G4 12", a Linux server, and a windows gaming machine. TCO studies in general are very rarely telling the whole truth, and make broad generalisations from specific points. If I said, All white men are better than black men, what kind of statement is that???? Now let's replace a few words. All Windows machines are better than Linux machines. What is the difference between those two statements????Both conjure biased, and hatred for one over the other one. Now the real details are very complex and aren't that simple. But the basic idea is the same. I choose the path not of least resitance but instead the path that is honorable to all parties. Each has their own contribution to us all, and each must be respected in their own way.

David Turnbull

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!