Centrino is just marketing hype

Story: Centrino Linux notebook reaches worldTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
bstadil

Jun 13, 2004
11:11 AM EDT
Centrino is just a waste of money. Akin to Intel's "P4 makes the internet faster". It's is just a chipset. If you need Wifi build in there is other chips that can be used. Second I think the reason Intel has been dragging it's feet on the Linux Centrino support is quid pro quo for MS delaying Windows 64 until Intel is ready. Buy AMD64 Notebook
crazy88

Jun 13, 2004
3:28 PM EDT
>I think the reason Intel has been dragging it's feet on the Linux Centrino support is quid pro quo for MS delaying Windows 64 until Intel is ready. > >

What are you talking about? Windows 64 isn't ready and won't be for another 5 years at least! ;-)
cjcox

Jun 15, 2004
7:12 AM EDT
I think the biggest part of the "Centrino" talk... is not about the chipset, but the resurrected P3-M (modified) that has now obsoleted the P4 line (hurray!!).

It's so funny... I've got a P3-M 1Ghz on my laptop and whenever I demo stuff, people are always asking... "What are you running? Sure is fast." I've had the great displeasure of working with the 2.x Ghz P4-Ms... they are much, much slower IMHO.

With that said... Centrino (the chipset) is important to have support for because, just like Winmodems, it's becoming a popular (possibly defacto) choice on new laptops (i.e. we really don't have a choice).

AMD needs a bit more work on their laptop solution. I think Intel has decided to give AMD the "Hertz" crown.. and Intel is working more on low power solutions for mobile and non-mobile apps. I know I don't like having a space heater in my study during hot Texas summers.

AMD should win the desktop and server... and they're starting to get some quality chipset support (finally!)... but knowing AMD's track record, I'm guessing that Intel will still hold the lead.

I just built a dual Xeon 3.2 and I swear my dual Athlon MP2400+ feels faster.

IMHO, we've got to live with Intel (and things like Centrino)... AMD just doesn't have the market yet.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!