We asked an audience of 250 or 300 business people...

Story: Microsoft: 'Linux is more of a threat than before'Total Replies: 2
Author Content
kosik

Jun 14, 2004
2:08 AM EDT
I guess no-one raised her hands just because to prevent being center stage as I do know from myself. I was always embarrassed by such situations...

Marc
crazy88

Jun 14, 2004
12:13 PM EDT
They were asked if they thought Linux was free

It's going to cost you something -- time, if you have to compile it and configure it; money, if you get someone else to do it for you. And these people all knew that.

But I bet a lot of them also know that Linux is cheaper, sometimes by a wide margin.
Void_Main

Jun 14, 2004
2:06 PM EDT
I would have raised my hand. In fact I would have went so far as to say it "makes" me money. If I have to count "time" as a cost then I would have to use the "time" that I would have spent if I were using an M$ platform as a baseline. Considering it takes me "less time" in Linux to do the things I do than it would in Windows then I would have to say that Linux is "better" than no cost.

Of course if I would have taken the question "Is Linux Free?" the way I normally use the word "Free" when it comes to Linux then I would have had to give a resounding "YES". I have the source code and am Free to modify it any way I like to make it work for me. I can not do this with Microsoft products. Slam dunk. Too bad they wouldn't let me in the door, I didn't appear zombie-like.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!