Make sure you read the second half

Story: The devastating case for Windows against Linux is the devastating case against LonghornTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
bstadil

Jul 12, 2004
6:40 PM EDT
This is an excellent piece once you realize what is going on. The point in the second half is the single best argument for Linux I have seen
Void_Main

Jul 12, 2004
6:52 PM EDT
This was a good article. I must say though that most of the points are just wrong on the first half pertaining to Linux. For instance, they say upgrading is a major pain. In my experience upgrading Windows has been a major pain while Linux is as easy as "apt-get dist-upgrade" which I have done in both Debian and Red Hat on many machines with no troubles at all. In fact you don't even have to reboot the machine when it's done (unless you want to bootstrap the new kernel)! In fact most of those upgrades were from a remote login via ssh! How many reboots are involved in a Windows upgrade and then with all the service packs? I could give similar examples for many of the other points. It seems to me that the only ones that make sense are when you insert Longhorn.
chris

Jul 12, 2004
8:36 PM EDT
Once we look to Longhorn, there are many new arguments in favor of Linux as well.

* Longhorn is not proven whatsoever. Linux is.

* When (not if) you run into Longhorn bugs, you have to hope that MS will fix them. Even if you are willing and able, you can't. With linux, you can.

* With microsoft solutions, you're guaranteed to have to pay, pay, pay, and repay forever, on THEIR upgrade schedule, not yours. With linux, the choice is yours, and you can continue to use the software and upgrade for free (or virtually free) forever.

* All microsoft customers are conisdered pirates unless proven otherwise, subject to the thugs at the BSA auditing your business and fining you heavily if your licensing paperwork isn't in pristine order. An all-linux shop never has to fear such a raid.
MESMERIC

Jul 12, 2004
9:55 PM EDT
Oh was there a second half? The article got me so furious with the blasphemies I was assembling my gear (FK's, nades, zookas) and was going to pepper out && mow down all the ppl @ TheInquirer HQ.

Thanks for pointing out about a second half - you probably saved lives I tell you!! That Charlie person - bah! How dare he?? bah! pfffft.

:P

No for real a very bizarre article, that sort of skewed debate I love so much.

Brilliant stuff.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!