Some things not as stated

Story: Linux still quirky but becoming friendlierTotal Replies: 0
Author Content
zjim

Jul 19, 2004
3:16 PM EDT
For one I think Linux is the best thing to come along for computers in a long time. As for "its code is open for anybody to modify, users, not marketers, can get the final say in this operating system's evolution." Well, that's not entirely true. For one you have to be a user that knows how to program. The other is that not just any one can join these development teams, this is probably why some programmers decide to do their own distributions. I'm also not sure what version, outside of Slackware, that would require such tweaking. Fedora, SuSe and Lycoris install without all this outside configuration file twiddling. As far as hardware it's like Void_Main states. If it isn't winModem or some other Plug-n-Pray hardware for Windows, it works fine. By using repositories both on my on local system and several of the available online repositories I haven't had dependency issues either. For the average user that isn't playing games I'm not sure what software they would be needing. OpenOffice and a plethora of web browsers and mail clients get installed. Sure there could be more financial packages, but they will come. After all is said and done I'd rather have quirky than insecure and costly.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!