Security alert overload

Posted by dave on Apr 14, 2004 9:34 AM EDT
LXer; By Dave Whitinger
Mail this story
Print this story

There have been 12 security alerts posted already today, and each time I think I've posted the last one, another appears. This raises a question that I've had for a while, and now seems a good time to ask... Should we make a filtering program for the LXer homepage?

These days about 2,000 individuals hit the LXer home page newswire at least once a day, which means that there are people out there getting a real use and value out of this site. My job here is to filter all the news out there and present it to you the reader in a simple and unobtrusive manner.

The security alerts are, in my view, important for the community and are a valid news item for the newswire. At the same time, however, it can be annoying to see dozens of alerts for a distribution you don't use.

Thus, I'm proposing a new feature for LXer: category filtering. My idea is to allow you to setup a preference option in which you can check off the items of which you have no interest, and then those items you checked off would no longer appear on your homepage. Does that sound like something that you would use? I only want to add the feature if it would get some use, so please let me know by e-mail or by posting below.

Nav
» Read more about: Story Type: Announcements; Groups: LXer

« Return to the newswire homepage

Subject Topic Starter Replies Views Last Post
Filtering plovs 0 2,442 Apr 14, 2004 9:00 PM
good florin 6 2,811 Apr 14, 2004 11:46 AM

You cannot post until you login.