Linux and the WannaCry Attack

Posted by gregladen on May 15, 2017 6:31 PM EDT
Scienceblogs; By Greg Laden
Mail this story
Print this story

If a cyber attack is a mugger, windows is a physically small drunken person with wads of money sticking out of his pockets, staggering down a dark ally past the convention hall during a mugger’s conference, while Linux is a hundred sober and smart well trained Navy Seals each driving a separate armored car in undisclosed locations.

Yes, you can attack the Navy Seals. But if you do that, they’ll make you wanna cry.

This is very simple, and it has more to do with the philosophy and marketing of operating systems than the technology of the operating systems themselves, though the technology does matter a great deal as well. First, lets have a look at how this ransomware attack was allowed to happen to begin with.

The vast majority of affected systems in this latest world wide cyber attack were Windows based computers that were not updated with recently available and easily deployed patch. The attack did not affect other operating systems, and Windows systems that had a recently released security patch were not affected. (I was going to put a link here to direct people to the Microsoft web page with info on what to do if you were attacked, but a minute or two of perusal on the Microsoft site mostly told me about Microsoft’s new products, and I did not find any such page. If you have a link, please place it in a snark free comment below.)

Why was the patch not deployed on so many computers? For several reasons....

Full Story

Nav
» Read more about: Story Type: News Story, Security; Groups: Linux

« Return to the newswire homepage

Subject Topic Starter Replies Views Last Post
In my humble opinion, superb. Ridcully 6 2,047 May 17, 2017 4:27 PM

You cannot post until you login.