Not only cannot I not sign, I disagree with both your ...

Story: The Linux Printer Driver Online PetitionTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
TxtEdMacs

May 03, 2005
10:30 AM EDT
premise and solution.

Perhaps you misworded your complaint, but if not here are my complaints to your proposal.

First, you state: " ... I don't want to have to think about which one to get. I want to be able to just go out, browse, pick one, and bring it home ... ". You really don't want to think?! More akin to what I would expect from a l.c.d. Windows user. You wish to do no research on quality of the device, ask no one their experiences or simply even to compare pricing on-line? I am sorry too much of your rant may be rationally used to support users sticking with Windows.

Second: A signature on a petition is too cheap to carry much weight especially when you are dealing with a commercial "enterprise". [Remember the adage: "Talk is Cheap!"] You can make demands all you like, but would it be fair to tax you to support its implementation.? I doubt you would subscribe to the latter solution, however, your rant is nothing more than a loud proclamation that your particular needs. If a company produces terrible printers I could care less that they supposedly work with Linux.

Let's consider the Cannon printer you mentioned as an example of one meeting your price performance needs. Buy the printer that supports Linux and write Cannon telling them that you would have preferred their machine, but it was not an option since it did not support your OS. [Also mention the features that appealed to you, e.g. (if it were I) I would tell them that their sticking with a limited set of ink cartridge types that work well.] Unlike a petition with just demands, this strikes home: a real customer and a lost sale. The latter has real impact on a smart company.

Finally, I probably have less extensive experience with computer hardware than you, but I have not encountered the problems you allude to regarding Linux printers. it seems to me in most respects everything has been improving from my first printer used under Linux (routinely): Epson Color Stylus 800. Since then we have acquired the two Color Stylus 880 and a Samsung M-1710 that have improved with each Linux upgrade. Also I have a Epson C-86 purchased for a XP box, that worked flawlessly under Linux this past week. Long ago I began with HP Laser Jet P-3 that worked under much earlier versions of Linux. Of those mentioned only the HP and the Epson 800 are no longer here, both having been given away.

One last point - when it becomes an imperative for nearly all manufactures to include Linux support, I will remember those that did not.

helios

May 03, 2005
1:14 PM EDT
One last point - when it becomes an imperative for nearly all manufactures to include Linux support, I will remember those that did not.

...And until we let them know of our intentions, they remain clueless. Protest in silence and doing so annonymously is impotent. OK, do petitions work? Not as a stand-alone device, but as Devnet states in his blog, if we follow it up with individual letters and communications, then we probably stand a better chance of getting something done. Linux is at a critical point on our history and a perfect storm of circumstance is presenting us an opportunity to gain some significant ground. We need to take advantage of it. Another fact was mentioned that I consider important. While we are talking about Canon, please note that they have extensive driver support for OS X. Linux has surpassed Mac in both business and desktop usage according to some figures, so why the hesitation on the part of manufacturers to release or provide drivers? They don't want to open source them. Thats fine with me. I personally sent Mr. Yoroku Adaachi, the CEO of Canon, the return/refund slip for 5 MP750 printers and accompanied it with the receipt for their HP counter-parts. Did it do any good? Probably not, but the trickle may become a strong enough stream to effect some change, and TRYING to get things changed is better than just accepting things as they are. I am happy with the fact that all my printers, in every office, in all three cities work with Linux. Man, there are hundreds of thousands of people who are not as lucky. We as Linux users should feel some sort of obligation to our community and help any way we can. At least that is my mindset. There are some hardware manufacturers that have seemingly dug in their heels on this issue. We should let them know that due to their decision, they stand a chance to become a bit less well-heeled as a result. Yeah, I signed the petition and I'm personally responsible for 11 others signing it. It's the only weapon we have right now and I say fire both friggin' barrels. Thanks to everyone else who pulled the trigger.

helios

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!