Jul 03, 2005
9:04 AM EDT
There's a saying here in the UK.

"Rearranging deckchairs on the Titanic."

Sort of says it all really.
peragrin

Jul 03, 2005
10:16 AM EDT
Quoting:There's a saying here in the UK.

"Rearranging deckchairs on the Titanic."

Sort of says it all really.

Not really, in Windows XP starter edition they also pulled two of the four engines, left it with the port prop only, and removed 50% of the Life rafts(remember the Titanic didn't have enough as it was).

Why? because your not supposed to be carrying that number of passengers on a ship that size.
tuxchick

Jul 03, 2005
10:40 AM EDT
Oh yeah, and no networking of any kind, except connecting to the Internet- no sharing printers, no LAN....
sbergman27

Jul 03, 2005
10:42 AM EDT
Actually, I think that there were two (4 cylinder?) main (steam) engines for the port and starboard screws respectively, and one low pressure turbine to drive the center screw, which scavenged energy from the main engines. (That, and the existence of freon based refrigeration for perishables are probably the two things about that series of ships that surprised me most when I first discovered those facts.)

As to the lifeboats, that, in my opinion, was the *real* tradgedy of the "Titanic" incident. They had enough lifeboats for 1200 people. The total number of people on the ship was about 2200. 1536 people died. 536 more people lost their lives than needed to. You see, although the Titanic carried too few lifeboats, the crew was not trained for an evacuation. They were afraid to fill the lifeboats to their true rated capacity. The boats went out with a widely varying number of occupants, the average being about 55% of rated capacity.

One can only hope that XP Starter Edition users fair better. (That last was only included to retain some semblance of relevacy to the original topic.)

BTW, I'm a Titanic fan. :-)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!