Am i the only one confused by this

Story: Is your open source project ready for the daylight savings time fix?Total Replies: 7
Author Content
peragrin

Oct 10, 2005
6:14 AM EDT
Just how is Day light savings time actually doing anything worth while?

Just how does Daylight savings time actually save energy? No one was ever provided a good reason for it.

The only idea that made sense was for when workers mainly walked to work so they could walk in light. Now most people in the states drive.
mvermeer

Oct 10, 2005
7:32 AM EDT
It's actually a rather smart idea, and due to Ben Franklin. It means that in summer the sun rises an hour later (when most people are asleep anyway) and sets an hour later (when most people are awake and doing things, turning lights on when it gets dark).

It's a clever exploitation of the fact that humans are creatures of habit and easily fooled. Tell them it's eight o'clock, and they'll believe it and act accordingly ;-)

Of course it wouldn't work if you turned the clock forward permanently...
SamShazaam

Oct 10, 2005
8:08 AM EDT
I have always considered changing the clock to "gain" more daylight is somewhat like changing the compass when you wish to change direction. Why not simply have summer and winter hours? I live in Arizona where we came to our senses and opted out of this scheme. There are no bad effects. We relax while others stress about whether they have changed all the clocks in the house.
tuxchick

Oct 10, 2005
3:31 PM EDT
stoopid, just plain stoopid. Arizona did the sane thing.

Tho mvermeer is right, too - "humans are creatures of habit and easily fooled." Mooooo.
peragrin

Oct 10, 2005
5:28 PM EDT
The only thing I find useful is that my sleeping habits tend to follow the rise and fall of the sun. So in the winter I sleep alot. and in the summer i am basially an insomniac. Of course chaging the clock doesn't really help me any and i have to get used to a new time schedule.

Why can't we just ditch Daylight savings time. It doesn't save power as people still need to have lights on, and heat on.
salparadise

Oct 11, 2005
12:40 AM EDT
Because if you live in certain areas and don't use daylight saving time then all the children get run over on the way home from school. Apparently.

This is the argument used in the UK. Scottish children will die if we abandon this tradition. Presumably they don't have pavements and streetlights in Scotland.

We don't have anything like the yellow school bus system in the UK. Children are the begrudged responsibility of schools from when the child sets foot on school property and cease to be so as soon they leave. And they're working hard at avoiding what little responsibility they have. Responsibility has become altogether connected with liability and consequently, "sueability". A proportion of school children are what we call "latchkey kids", meaning no one collects them because both (or the only) parent/s work. They are expected to get themselves home safely.

Hence the daylight saving thing.
TxtEdMacs

Oct 12, 2005
6:25 AM EDT
I am a bit surprised at the near consensus shown in this thread being anti-daylight saving. However, many comments support my presumption that those critical have not lived near the eastern edge of a time zone at a northern latitude. Moreover, those expressing innate knowledge of the concept of "time" and its effects are over generalizing.

In a historic perspective, time zones are really fairly recent being created by the railroads to allow safer scheduling of their trains where previously only inconsistently set local times existed. That was in the done in the eighteen hundreds.

From a scientific perspective, time is a problematic concept that does not even exist is some important branches of the physical sciences despite the naming, e.g. Thermodynamics. The latter is taken as one of the most solidly grounded theories and it is used routinely to calculate the maximum efficiencies possible for heat engine designs. In a physical mathematical model, the ability of an equation to be valid using negative time is taken as supporting the model.

Finally from a philosophical/religious view there is no unanimity on the meaning of time. From the Christian view time is seen to progress, whereas the universe is static in Islam. Regarding the latter think of the description of heaven containing everyone ever born or that will be born (approximation). While I do not know much about Buddhistic philosophy other than their taking the physical world to be an illusion, I suspect too their concept of time might also differ from the facile presumptions seen in this thread.

And, of course, there are practical matters, which however, I cannot discuss since it is out of my area of expertise ...
SFN

Oct 12, 2005
9:13 AM EDT
"Because if you live in certain areas and don't use daylight saving time then all the children get run over on the way home from school. Apparently.

This is the argument used in the UK. Scottish children will die if we abandon this tradition. Presumably they don't have pavements and streetlights in Scotland."

Funny. That's the same argument they use here in Indiana for not wanting to go on Daylight Savings Time only they change "on the way home from school" to "on the way to school".

Although DST has become rather irrelevant over the years, there is one reason for everyone to do it: Because most people will not stop. Living in a place that doesn't observe DST, I can tell you that long term scheduling with anyone outside of Indiana is a nightmare.

"What time is good for you?" "10:00am works here." "Now, that's what time here?" "Well, currently it's 11:00 am but in three weeks it will be 10:00am."

"It's perfectly simple. If you're not getting your hair cut, you don't have to move your brother's clothes down to the lower peg. You simply collect his note before lunch, after you've done your scripture prep, when you've written your letter home, before rest, move your own clothes onto the lower peg, greet the visitors, and report to Mr. Viney that you've had your chit signed. "

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!