I purchased this.

Story: An open Studio to GoTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
MESMERIC

Oct 24, 2005
9:40 PM EDT
I think it is worth the money. But do not expect it to be easy - this is aimed at professional people. It will take a long while for the utter-clueless (like myself) to get a first note out. Unless a friendly Linux musician sits beside you and guides you along.

If you bought this and got angry because the "damn thing don't work" here are few hints (from a layman so terminology might be very wrong!):

Jack Server must be running. You need a MIDI interpreter (I used Timidity as a plugin) You will need a soundfont loaded.

Those are the 3 essentials steps before you can even contemplate composing your next symphony.
salparadise

Oct 24, 2005
10:07 PM EDT
I've been watching this distro - amongst others - waiting for a decent musicians distro. I started out on computers using Sonic Foundry's Acid and Sound Forge and am still waiting for anything to come close.

LMMS is interesting but tis SO unstable that sometimes clicking on a menu is enough to pull it over.

So, come on Propellerhead, Sony and Steinberg - wake up and smell the coffee and get porting to Linux!

Please.
MESMERIC

Oct 25, 2005
3:09 PM EDT
but salparadise have you tried this Live CD?

I am interested to know how it compares and if it is good or not. I don't know better - because I am extremely new to Composing Music and Mixing Studio Software.
salparadise

Oct 25, 2005
9:16 PM EDT
No, I haven't tried Studio To Go. I didn't know there was a live cd for it. I'll have to download it at work.

I'll get back to you.
MESMERIC

Oct 28, 2005
6:09 PM EDT
Hi,

Yeah unfortunatelly you can't download. You have to order - and it is relative expensive (compared with Linux distros / Live CDs) I made the sacrifice and purchased it anyway.

I don't regret it - there is something there waiting for me. But it does require time - much time. I thought it would be stupidly easy like those kids "Be a DJ" sort of application it's hard - but not impossible.

Impossible would probably be installing Rosegarden / Ardour from scratch. But then so is making IE work with Wine from scratch (instead of CrossOver)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!