all this talk about "dethroning"

Story: Can Mac OS X in x86 dethrone Microsoft's WindowsTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
chalex

Nov 21, 2005
7:30 PM EDT
From what I understand, the desktop market looks like this: Windows - 95% Apple - 3-4% Others - 1-2%

There's a long way to go. Even Firefox just reached 10% market share.
tadelste

Nov 21, 2005
8:27 PM EDT
chalex: If it's global, then it's closer to 85% Windows and Linux has about 5%. The rest must be Apple.

Right about Firefox, but a lot of it's adoption is on Windows /-:
salparadise

Nov 21, 2005
9:33 PM EDT
Everytime I go on-line to look at news I hear about migrations, conversions, companies switching over to Linux, schools switching over to Linux, countries switching over to Linux.

And every time I hear the global pc ownership figures expressed as percentages, Microsoft still have the same sized slice of the pie.

Who's counting?
nailchipper

Nov 21, 2005
9:35 PM EDT
"The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step."
helios

Nov 22, 2005
2:27 AM EDT
It's not so much who's counting as what's being counted and who is releasing the statistics. In the Austin Independent School District, Linux has a large share of the server use, but getting the School Administration to admit it is difficult. I have been wrestling with AISD for almost a year and getting a straight answer out of them is almost impossible. Would you imagine that they want to hide the fact they use Linux in ANY capacity?

You bet...

Announcing that they use Linux is a sure way to bring a Microsoft software Audit down on their @$$e$. They fear MS far more than they fear the IRS.

helios
salparadise

Nov 22, 2005
3:02 AM EDT
Ouch.

Tyranny - pure and simple.
tadelste

Nov 22, 2005
5:43 AM EDT
But real, none-the-less. How about a major University that switched to OOo because they discovered their IT department was short about 5000 office licenses. Quiet please.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!