partisan problem

Story: Following Bill Gates Linux Attack Money: DeLay - Abramoff Financial Links EmergingTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
maco

Dec 31, 2005
1:34 PM EDT
I think need to be FOSS before Republican or Democrat - at least in this context. I, a Democrat, am utterly ashamed of our Governor Bill Richards for his giving no-bid contracts to MS for state wide email - probably in return for contributions from the Democrat who negotiated the contract.

This whole deal with Preston Gates and Melinda Gates should wave red flags - again, regardless of political stripe. For example, since Melina joined the Post's board of directors, all mention of Preston Gates in regard to the Abramoff scandal have been mysterously absent from Post reporting (remember, it was Preston Gates who hired Abramoff, and in his employ that Abramoff's actions are being investigated).

Politically, no one I know of either party has the cajones to stand up to MS, much less champion FOSS as Brazil's president Silva.

But, if you want to be utterly disgusted, read the current administration's position on the internet - about big business making money, everything else is secondary at best. Whether a Democrat or Republican, the current administration has not been positive to FOSS or to technology in overall.

tadelste

Dec 31, 2005
2:36 PM EDT
I remain neutral with regard to partisian politics and have to because of my position. Money is also bi-partisan - it doesn't care which party to whom one belongs. Foss before party works for me.

Now, here's a code with which one can live: God Family Country Foss Party Corp Unit.
maco

Dec 31, 2005
4:26 PM EDT
Want to agree with you, but need to raise some issues.

God: as a Buddhist there is no God, esp as defined by the Judeo/Muslim/Christian heritage. I think I know what you mean, and certainly in my life spirituality and morality are first. But I cannot join in on your wording.

Family: this gets really complicated. In Greece country came before family. If you were the unibomber's brother, would you have turned him in? If you are the parent of a draft age son, do you let him serve or make sure he gets into the National Guard? Cheating on taxes or getting through a bill through congress that gives you tax breaks might give more money to your children but is bad for the country. The Mafia is probably the strongest Family Values organization in the US. In the end, you have family obligations and social obligations, and they very frequently require a balancing act.

Country: as long as you don't call me a traitor for voicing my opinion.

Might I suggest: Love and Morality, Family, Friends and Country, FOSS, Party, Workplace
tadelste

Dec 31, 2005
8:56 PM EDT
Quoting:Might I suggest: Love and Morality, Family, Friends and Country, FOSS, Party, Workplace

Works for me.

Abe

Jan 01, 2006
9:53 AM EDT
maco.

I am not Buddhist, but I thought Buddhist believe in the ultimate being. Whether it is called God or something else, all his messages strongly emphasize on Justice, Love, Morality, Family, Compassion, etc... which all are intertwined equally important without any preference or ranking. The rest, especially Party and Workplace, are in no way even close in importance to be included even though some could be a sub-set of or the results of the others.

In regards to "no God", I think there are only two ways to find God, true faith and science. Einstein had both, after discovering the law of The Special Theory of Relativity (E=mc**2), he spent the rest of his life to find the "The General Theory of Relativity", he didn't have enough time. But he did say "God does not play dice with the universe.".
miahfost

Jan 02, 2006
1:03 AM EDT
Big business buys government, this ought to be clear. DeLay is going to end up in jail but Microsoft's illegal monoply will continue, they bribe more than one senator at a time.

Our democracy was once the envy of the world. Now it has been revealed to be run by money, riddled with neglect, and lacking civil liberty protections. Really sad.
maco

Jan 08, 2006
4:27 PM EDT
Abe

"I thought Buddhist believe in the ultimate being" - it is my understanding the Lord Buddha neither believed in the tribal god as per Johova of the Isrealites, the "ultimate being" god of post-Platonic Christians, nor in the anamistic gods around whom he was surrounded.

Worse, he (or He) did not believe in self. Contrary to Western "I think therefore I am," Buddha postulates that the brain is sensory organism - it is the thought that thinks. Pure selflessness, letting life pass through you instead of clinging to it, is one of the milestones to nirvana (nothingness).

Most South Asian Buddhists, but probably not Buddha himself, believe in Heaven and Hell. Few of us mere mortals want to lose those whom we love forever, and most all of us want assholes to get thiers.

IMHO Eientien was using God as an abstraction for Nature and the Laws thereof (which he loved much more than most can ever hope to love God), similar maybe to most of the founding fathers (Diests who believed God set the universe in motion and then stepped back) - whether the Universe was set in motion by a Big Bang, a wrinkle in the eleventh dimension, or a slieght of hand by an omnipotent god probably didn't matter too much to either Eienstien or Jefferson - certainly the two former are more interesting sceintifically.
salparadise

Jan 09, 2006
12:15 AM EDT
Hmmm...

I don't see how anyone can choose to use Windows and claim to have a conscience/faith.

Microsoft helped to put chinese people in prison to keep their slice of the Chinese market intact. What more do you need to hear?

...............................................................................................................

I sought my God, but my God I could not see, I sought my soul, but my soul eluded me, I sought my brother - and found all three.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!