From the "in your dreams" department

Story: Somebody in India thinks they'll "Wrest Leadership in Open-Source Computing"Total Replies: 9
Author Content
jboyd

Feb 11, 2006
10:13 AM EDT
Who would have dreamed that communist China would become the manufacturing capital of the world? Who would have dreamed that the only country bombed by an Atomic weapon (Japan) would be leaders in the electronic and automobile industry ?
tadelste

Feb 11, 2006
11:38 AM EDT
So, is you logic: everything is the same as everyting else only different?
jboyd

Feb 11, 2006
12:31 PM EDT
No,

My logic is this:

The U.S. seems (to me) to be the engine of the modern world, the Internet and open source software has and is continuing to break down physical boundaries at a pace unseen in human history. Economics and foreign policy (of the U.S business and politicians) tend to ultimately decide the shape of things to come. Cheap hands made China the preferred manufacturer for the majority of US businesses. This made China the manufacturing capital of the world. Is it possible that even with the corruption and bad business practices that may exist in India , that cheap IT brains could conceivably lay the groundwork for them (India) to affect the open source industry. If US business continue to invest in foreign (Indian) IT, and the Indian Government then pumps money into the educational structure that support it, add to that the EU businesses that normally follow , this seems to be leading only one place.

Finally it only makes sense that if a country (IT wise) whats to differentiate itself, it should invest not in MCSEs but in open source professionals.
tadelste

Feb 11, 2006
2:12 PM EDT
In China and Japan you will find more homogeneous populations. You'll find common standards for doing things. You have two languages in China and one in Japan. But in India, you'll find hundreds of languages, populations, etc.

As a nation, China pulled itself up. We know the story of the miracle of Japan. But, you won't find that in India. "As a nation" doesn't exist in India. The regions hate one another. They have contempt for one another. The fit the classical definition of a country devoted to self destruction. Everyone is out for him or herself.

India has no chance of becoming a manufacturing giant. It's not in their culture. They won't take steps to control their population or emerge from their status as a third world country.

Don't expect India to become anything like Japan, Germany or China. The most you can expect is for them to come here and become part of our culture and then I can see them contributing. In India, though, it's everyman man/woman for him/herself.
Abe

Feb 11, 2006
2:55 PM EDT
To come to think about it, did India have an empire, civilization, culture or contribution to humanity of any kind? These take leadership. They might produce a lot of Open Source code or anything else for that matter, but to play a leadership role is a totally different matter. Like Tom said, cheap labor in vast numbers is what is going for them.
salparadise

Feb 11, 2006
10:41 PM EDT
Leadership in Open Source computing will go to the best minds and the best ideas and the best programmers. If India earns itself those particular titles then it deserves that "leadership".

anandrajan

Feb 12, 2006
4:35 AM EDT
tadelste diatribed

"In China and Japan you will find more homogeneous populations. You'll find common standards for doing things. You have two languages in China and one in Japan. But in India, you'll find hundreds of languages, populations, etc.

As a nation, China pulled itself up. We know the story of the miracle of Japan. But, you won't find that in India. "As a nation" doesn't exist in India. The regions hate one another. They have contempt for one another. The fit the classical definition of a country devoted to self destruction. Everyone is out for him or herself."

In Windows, you will find more homogeneous populations. You'll find common standards for doing things. You have two languages in Microsoft (C++ and C#). But in the linux world, you'll find hundreds of languages, distributions, etc.

As an operating system, Windows pulled itself up. We know the story of the miracle of Windows. But you won't find that in linux. "As a single operating system" doesn't exist in linux. The distributions hate one another. They have contempt for one another. They fit the classical definition of an operating system devoted to self destruction. Every distribution is out for itself.
sudharsh

Feb 12, 2006
5:17 AM EDT
I couldnt agree more with Anandrajan
AnonymousCoward

Feb 12, 2006
5:37 AM EDT
anandrajan: good point -- India may be a house divided against itself, but that house has a billion residents. If as many as a quarter of them align, they rival the USA.
Abe

Feb 12, 2006
6:21 AM EDT
Quoting:Leadership in Open Source computing will go to the best minds and the best ideas and the best programmers.

Sal: I couldn't agree more, but, the question is, best minds for what? If there is no commitment to participate and share, what good are they as leaders in FOSS?

MS and other IT companies have great and some of the best minds, what good are they to FOSS?

I hope India adopts FOSS and prove me wrong, but who can guarantee they will play by the rules? All current Indication doesn't show it.

anandrajan: Your are cherry-picking/nitt-picking.
Quoting:But you won't find that in linux. "As a single operating system" doesn't exist in linux.
Hog Wash, Linux as a kernel is single OS maintained and released by its maintainers (OSDL, Linus, & Andrew). Enhancements and changes by many all feedback for approval and inclusion. Any layered applications developed and maintained by one distro will also run on other distros. They might have cosmetic differences but the guts are the same.

Quoting:The distributions hate one another. They have contempt for one another.
I would say it differently, they take from each other but they compete under the same rules. Think of it as a large group who are doing research ending up with the same results, some better than others because they used different approaches. What is wrong with that? I don't see anything wrong with it and has proven to be the best and most effective evolutionary process. I don't agree with your notion of "self destruction", FOSS is being adopted by more and more organizations once the try it and find a way to get out of MS Lock-in.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!