2006 represents a great opportunity for Linux

Story: Microsoft or Linux -- the hard sellTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
number6x

Feb 13, 2006
4:54 AM EDT
This year truly represents a great opportunity for Linux.

• Google has moved up to the #1 enemy slot on the Microsoft hit list, giving Linux a little cover to act.
  • Vista may be delayed again, giving Linux a space to move into.
  • Vista will require costly hardware upgrades and retraining, making a switch to Linux viable.
  • Continued worries about security, and privacy make Linux and Free Software more attractive.

Its almost like 'A perfect storm' situation.
  • SFN

Feb 13, 2006
    5:06 AM EDT
    Quoting:Vista will require costly hardware upgrades and retraining, making a switch to Linux viable.

That part (the part which should be the easiest point of the sell to Windows users) isn't as big a threat as it seems.

If past events are any indication, most Windows users (both home and corprate) will not upgrade an existing computer's operating system. They will simply buy a new computer when they have a need to replace an existing one. Those new computers will come with Vista installed and the necessary hardware to run it. (At least, they'll come with the hardware that MS claims will be necessary to run it.)
    salparadise

Feb 13, 2006
    5:32 AM EDT
    Quoting:At least, they'll come with the hardware that MS claims will be necessary to run it.

Ah yes, like the Samsung laptop I had that was "designed especially for Windows XP" and had 128MB of non upgradable RAM in it. It operated like a milk cart going uphill into a headwind.
    number6x

Feb 13, 2006
    6:38 AM EDT
    I counted buying new computers as a costly upgrade.

This is how corporations will look at it.

Do we just need to add ram (a low-cost upgrade)? Or do we have to buy or lease new cpu's (a costly upgrade)?

Hopefully a few corporations will ask... Can some of our people who only do data entry get buy with a Linux terminal server setup?

SFN

Feb 13, 2006
    7:40 AM EDT
    I work in a bank. Here in our department, we have been examining running Linux on our desktops and the only thing that was holding us back was our core deposit app. (Yeah, THAT'S all!)

Our core vendor was recently purchased by a company that has versions of all of our core apps that run on Linux. Going to be having the big talk in the next few months.

*crossing fingers*

*legs*

*toes*
    sharkscott

Feb 13, 2006
    7:42 AM EDT
    I turned three people on to Linux yesterday(at work), one gentleman was setting up a computer for his 10 year old son and wanted something that could get on-line and had "controls" as he said. I explained how Linux is a true multiuser system and told him about the root or super user control system as well.

The other was a gentleman who really only needed OpenOffice.org but after I showed him the SuSE-10, Xandros and Linspire boxes (By the way I just told you the entire offering of Linux products in the whole store) he walked out with the Xandros-Deluxe box.

In conversation with both of them I mentioned the documentation that comes with most Linux systems and the resources that forum websites contain. When I mentioned the forums to the first guy, he told me about when he recently fixed up a motorcycle and how he went to forum sites to get information. If you can get someone to be able to relate to something like that, it makes them much more comfortable with being a little more pro-active in teaching themselves something new.

The third guy was already tired of Microsoft and by pure luck happened to ask me of all people, "Do you guys have operating systems I can put on a computer?".

I said, "We sure do, right this way..."
    Herschel_Cohen

Feb 13, 2006
    8:48 AM EDT
    sharkscott - if you would allow me to clone you no more than perhaps ten to the third power or only two if you insist: 2006 would be known in history as: "The Year Windows Was".
    sharkscott

Feb 13, 2006
    10:46 AM EDT
    When do you want the DNA sample? :-)

I'm just a Vendor Rep. there on weekends, but I try my best.

I sure wish I could just sell Linux instead of having to stay in certain places in the store.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!