Author of article is misled on many points...

Story: The Windows Vista Challenge for MicrosoftTotal Replies: 13
Author Content
cjcox

Jun 26, 2006
8:07 AM EDT
1. The few problems mentioned about Vista are minor.

2. Microsoft is NOT operating any differently than usual... same thing were said about WinXP when it was coming out.

3. Most importantly, Microsoft, having monopolized the computing platform, means that Vista takes hold because it will ship on all new purchases. That's how WinXP secured its foothold... no change. Vista could totally stink and it will still become ubiquitous because it automatically ships on all new purchases. Large companies who "say" they will not upgrade, usually do eventually simply because new hardware will work best with Vista and it is too much of a pain to continue to support WinXP. Again, this is exactly what happened when going from Win2000 to WinXP... nothing has changed.

This isn't the end of Microsoft.. not yet.
Bob_Robertson

Jun 26, 2006
9:47 AM EDT
Agreed, preinstallation is the key Microsoft stranglehold.

On servers, where each one is essentially custom built (at least in software), OpenSource took hold quickly.

When some company like Dell puts their $499 "web special" machine on their splash page with the statement, "Windows, add $99", then that will indeed be the end of Microsoft.

I very much want the CFO to look at this and say, "We're paying HOW MUCH for Windows?" and get a real answer.

Every place I've worked has replaced whatever it is shipped on the machine to the company standard, be it Windows or Linux. They paid twice for their Windows, and never knew it because it was a hidden cost that came with the hardware.

Bob-

salparadise

Jun 26, 2006
10:16 AM EDT
There's a lot of BS around on the net about Vista.

I have it running at home on a spare machine.

Some lies/exagerrations I've already heard... (and the reality "on the ground") "in brief".

You must click on OK up to 5 times to delete icons from the desktop.

This is rubbish. Icons you create yourself can be deleted with a single click, "default program icons" (meaning icons created by an install process) require three OK's to remove.

The security is MUCH higher than XP.

This is also rubbish. I have to put a password in to logon. EVERY single time Vista starts the system stops dead and the screen darkens while an "allow this action yes/no" dialogue box appears. This happens three times. Each and every action it is seeking permission for is the initialisation of the Anti-Virus software that Vista recommended I installed (free trial blah blah etc). This initialisation is described as an action "designed to change the computers state" (or some such wording).

Every time I want to install a program, the system stops dead, the screen darkens and a "Halt. I don't know what's happening or don't know the origin of this message"/ "Continue. I know what I'm doing or trust the source of this message" box appears. No password is required.

Because the box I am running also has Linux on it I have explore2fs to hand (Windows still pretends there's no such thing except NTFS/FAT partitions). Explore2fs requires "administrator privileges" so I right click on the .exe and click on "run as administrator" and it runs without asking for a password.

I haven't checked as to whether the default account is Admin level or restricted as yet (will check on this and report back later). From the above I presume it's Admin level, that or they've missed the point about security again.

The start menu is messed up and unfamiliar with all favour given to MS products.

The new Win GUI is HEAVILY influenced by OSX.

As has been rightly said above. You'll get it cus there won't be any other choice if you buy new.

Since the highest levels of government, management and industry will change over more or less immediately there'll the be the usual forced trickledown upgrade cycle as newly created files refuse to work on older versions of standard products (I presume).

Nothing new to see here, move along please...
jimf

Jun 26, 2006
2:16 PM EDT
As far as any business rushing to transition... It's my understanding that many business took 3-4 years to go from W2k to XP and that many still haven't done it. I don't see that Vista is going to be much different unless it shows some really indispensable feature, or, unless MS immediately drops support for W2k and XP... A real possibility.
hkwint

Jun 26, 2006
2:31 PM EDT
Quoting:When some company like Dell puts their $499 "web special" machine on their splash page with the statement, "Windows, add $99 ", then that will indeed be the end of Microsoft.

They can't, that's forbidden by the Microsoft XP System Builder License! See term 16.1 here: http://hkwint.50webs.com/MS_SysBuildLicense.jpg

Yes, really rediculous, but still true (spread the word!)

I put the scan of the license on a free site, so it's a bit slow.

So if Dell would do that, they'd break the license with MS! This term 16.1 infringes on EU competition laws, and I'm still thinking how I should make this clear to the department of Neelie Kroes (letter should be in English and there are a lot of rules that should be followed when filing a complaint). We already know MS is afraid of that department. I already did a short research about WinXP refund (you might remember). Finally, I discovered OEMS only return about €35 which they could claim back from Microsoft (this is for Acer).

Please note, by letting me know how much the consumer paid at least for WinXP Home NL Acer probably broke the SysBuilderLicense, but by not letting me know about it, all other OEMs kind of broke the EULA, which gives you the right to return Windows software according to the refund policy of the OEM.
dcparris

Jun 26, 2006
4:55 PM EDT
> all other OEMs kind of broke the EULA, which gives you the right to return Windows software according to the refund policy of the OEM.

Yes, and I'm certain Microsoft is really keen on enforcing that clause as well. Yeah right.
dinotrac

Jun 26, 2006
5:59 PM EDT
>all other OEMs kind of broke the EULA, which gives you the right to return Windows software according to the refund policy of the OEM.

OK..Now here's the question I just gotta ask...

If the EULA says you're entitled to a refund according to the refund policy of the OEM, how can an OEM possibly violate it?

OEM refund policy:

We don't take no software back no way no how, smartypants.
jdixon

Jun 26, 2006
6:11 PM EDT
> or, unless MS immediately drops support for W2k

Mainstream support for Windows 2000 ended on 6/30/2005. Extended support is scheduled to end on 7/13/2010. Seeing how well they've handled the extended support on Windows 98SE and Windows ME, I'm certain 2000 will unusable well before then.
jsusanka

Jun 26, 2006
6:13 PM EDT
"Most importantly, Microsoft, having monopolized the computing platform, means that Vista takes hold because it will ship on all new purchases. That's how WinXP secured its foothold... no change. Vista could totally stink and it will still become ubiquitous because it automatically ships on all new purchases. Large companies who "say" they will not upgrade, usually do eventually simply because new hardware will work best with Vista and it is too much of a pain to continue to support WinXP. Again, this is exactly what happened when going from Win2000 to WinXP... nothing has changed."

totally agree - until this changes nothing will and it will be business as usual and the so called IT journalists experts will declare Vista the winner.

The only thing is linux is not going anywhere it will always be here no matter which expert declares the winner. It's not like the os2 days.

I personally can't wait till vista everyone will be dumping their barely used system and I will have plenty of nice second hand hardware to chose from. there are still sheeple out there that get rid of their computer because it actually costs less to buy a new one than it would to have someone come out and fix their current krufted up windows installation. it's no wonder the sheeple have the attitude they have about computers thanks to microsoft.
hkwint

Jun 27, 2006
9:39 AM EDT
Quoting:If the EULA says you're entitled to a refund according to the refund policy of the OEM, how can an OEM possibly violate it?

By not having such a policy, seems to me.

Bob_Robertson

Jun 27, 2006
9:45 AM EDT
"there are still sheeple out there that get rid of their computer because it actually costs less to buy a new one than it would to have someone come out and fix their current krufted up windows installation. it's no wonder the sheeple have the attitude they have about computers thanks to microsoft."

Oh, it's not just Microsoft. http://www.mises.org/story/2221 Yesterday's daily article on Mises.org was speaking directly to the "throw away" attitude. I found it very interesting.

Considering the price/performance ratio of "computers" has been dropping like a stone for 30 years straight, the throw-away attitude might not be entirely irrational. However, someone today gets nothing more than eye-candy over what they bought for exactly the same money in 1995 (ok, let's say 1998). About the only real change they see is in terms of video.

Because I run Linux and have some measure of control over the system, I can recognize the improvements that the hardware allows, but I also see bloat in my own system. The typical Microsloth doesn't even notice, but they also don't notice how inflation has devastated their real wealth. I do indeed think these attitudes are related.

BTW, "blockquote" didn't work for me, how did y'all get it to work in the comments above?

Bob-

dinotrac

Jun 27, 2006
9:51 AM EDT
>By not having such a policy, seems to me.

Not exactly. That just means their policy is not to spell out what they do.
hkwint

Jun 27, 2006
9:58 AM EDT
Yes dino, I now how you think about stuff and you know how I think about it.

Nonetheless, I think we both agree some judge should speak out about this stuff.

By the way, did you read the MS OEM sysbuilderlicense? I'd love to hear your opinion about it (if it's readable to you)
salparadise

Jun 27, 2006
10:36 AM EDT
[ quote ] BODY [ / quote ]

without spaces

BODY = text to be quoted

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!