Rubbish.

Story: 10 things you should do to a new Linux PC before connecting to the ...Total Replies: 5
Author Content
salparadise

Jul 02, 2006
11:09 PM EDT
This is largely rubbish.

1) How can you not know why you're installing an OS? "Linux itself is not a magic wand that can be waved and that will make all sorts of computer problems disappear". Want a bet?

2) Most distros offer the choice during install of Server or Workstation. Windows is an OS, Linux is a complete suite of software (unless you are installing a purpose made server distro).

3) Which distros do NOT come with a firewall? Which distros do not activate the firewall for you during setup? We're not talking about "Windows - we have a firewall that's turned off by default". I have to admit to not knowing whether MS have changed this.

4) Hmmm. Is this really a valid point?

5) Again, there are some services you may not need but we're not talking about Windows which has, among other things, a service that is automatically started that allows remote editing of the registry.

6) Sort of agreed.

7) What?

8) Rubbish. A good idea but not essential.

9) Yes, most definitely.

10) Hmm. I've never needed it in 3+ years of Linux use.

All in all this appears to be a shameful attempt to spread FUD in the minds of potential new users.
jimf

Jul 02, 2006
11:39 PM EDT
What planet does this guy come from? Virtually all the Distros that are designed for new users have security in place. This is indeed 'Rubbish'.
herzeleid

Jul 02, 2006
11:49 PM EDT
This read as i f it were either the very first linux article by a confused mcse, or an attempt to spread FUD by making it sound like a linux user has to go through a list of confusing steps just to connect to the internet.

He goes to great pains to keep calling the box a pee cee, as it if were no different from windoze - a really odd way to put things at any rate.

In reality, as others have pointed out, any modern distro does all the necessary security setup as part of the standard install.

bleh, a waste of electrons.
Sachankara

Jul 03, 2006
4:22 AM EDT
"3) Which distros do NOT come with a firewall? Which distros do not activate the firewall for you during setup? We're not talking about "Windows - we have a firewall that's turned off by default". I have to admit to not knowing whether MS have changed this."

Ubuntu does not configure iptables nor does it offer any boot scripts for the user to enable it when booting the computer. It sure needs lots of security polishing, or it'll end up a windows copy sooner or later.
salparadise

Jul 03, 2006
6:39 AM EDT
I was under the impression that Ubuntu came "hardened" and all ports were closed by default. That was certainly the case with the first two releases. Have they changed this practice?
richo123

Jul 03, 2006
7:04 AM EDT
Sal, No they haven't:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=192133&highlight=fi...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!