Author Content
salparadise

Jul 02, 2006
11:09 PM EDT
Seeing as how they stand to lose a lot.
jimf

Jul 02, 2006
11:43 PM EDT
Actually, the title is misleading. What they really say is that, in a few years, open source will become 'commonplace'. No real news here.. Move on.
dinotrac

Jul 03, 2006
6:20 AM EDT
jimf -

And, if you think about it, boring would be good, too.

Why?

A. because boring implies commonplace,

B. you want enterprise software to be many things, but exciting isn't one of them. Reliable, supportable, extensible, auditable, cost-effective, but not exciting.
jimf

Jul 03, 2006
9:07 AM EDT
dino,

Well, that was really my point. The real 'news', if any, is that adaption of open software by enterprise is now recognized by these guys as being inevitable... Duh... Like we didn't know that.
dinotrac

Jul 03, 2006
9:11 AM EDT
jimf -

I figured.
maggrand

Jul 03, 2006
1:56 PM EDT
So a they say a negative word for 'opensource success'.......nice.....
Libervis

Jul 03, 2006
3:26 PM EDT
Actually, I don't think open s.. er.. Free Software, will ever become boring. Yes it will be common place, but it is in its nature to foster new and exciting things because it is in its nature to foster innovation, and innovation is supposed to be exciting, right? :)

Just look at all the *exciting* stuff that was already created within the realm of Free Software, from XGL to Mozilla Firefox to whatever gets your goat..

However, there are still certain threats that threaten to spoil all that fun, namely software patents and DRM. So I don't think it's gonna be that boring anytime soon in any sense of the word.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!