prevention

Story: Microsoft to support ODF (!!!)Total Replies: 5
Author Content
pcatiprodotnet

Jul 06, 2006
5:39 AM EDT
The primary reason MS wants to add a "save as odf..." to MS Office would be to deter current MS Office users from installing OpenOffice solely for purposes of conversions. If it's there, folks are more likely to give it a try, learn it, love it, use it at home, convert others, etc.
SFN

Jul 06, 2006
5:43 AM EDT
Am I the only one who's leery of the phrase "Microsoft said it plans to sponsor an open-source project"?
jimf

Jul 06, 2006
5:57 AM EDT
Yes, 'Leary' is actually appropriate... Ya gotta be stoned or psychotic to believe that one.
dcparris

Jul 06, 2006
6:10 AM EDT
One of the things that struck me is their claim of wanting the project to be transparent. Yet, while we did know that they were talking about ODF with a French firm, that firm wasn't publicised until now, and it seems to already have the project developed. How is that transparent? Naturally, they just *had* to comment on the supposed inferiority of ODF.

I will applaud their choice of the BSD license, assuming it's the modified version and not the old advertising clause version that is such a headache.
hkwint

Jul 06, 2006
8:22 AM EDT
Quoting:would be to deter current MS Office users from installing OpenOffice solely for purposes of conversions

Now people might install MS Office solely for the purpose of conversions. A government could potentially convert all their .doc etc. files to ODF using only one single MS Office license.

As you can read in my comment (in the lead of the article), I am rather optimistic, though history has proved me wrong in being optimistic about MS moves more than once. We'll see.

Anyway, it's simple: Other people are gonna offer a conversion plugin, or Microsoft does it themselves. Simply because there's demand for it from the governments.

They are going to implement the ODF to OpenXML filter first, which means we can soon start sending native ODF files to MS Office users. Sounds good to me!
salparadise

Jul 06, 2006
9:19 AM EDT
I just installed the odf add in for Word 2007 in the interests of investigation.

It enables Word to open .odt files but it only opens them in read only mode. "Save As .odf" is greyed out and will not work. (Bear in mind this was only released today and as such is not a final release). So in order to work on such a document you have to save to a "word friendly" format and cannot, at the moment, save as odt and return the file (though you could save as .doc). Some of the formatting is little off when opening a .odt (word "converts it") and when opening a "converted odt" file in Open Office in the "normal" .doc format, a lot of formatting seems to be lost. This formatting is not absent when opening the .doc file in Word 2007.

Early days...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!